tent flys

6:52 p.m. on March 11, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I live in the lower mainland of BC and am looking for a store that deals with tent flys. I need one for a 8 man and a 2 man tent. Any suggestions

12:26 p.m. on March 12, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

Try MEC.

I gather from your question that your tents did not come with flies. Or is it that the flies are deteriorated (too much time in the sun does that, as does just plain age). For your 8-person tent, you can just buy one of the blue tarps at any hardware store, or a good sail-maker can make one for you to match your tent (you will need to do the measurements and provide a diagram - good sailmakers can work from pretty minimal instructions, lesser ones may need a detailed pattern to work from). The 2-person tent should have a fly available from the manufacturer, if it was of any reasonable quality from any of the better manufacturers (that is, not a Local Sporting Goods or Wal/K-mart Special). If it was one of the inexpensive tents, go with one of the smaller blue tarps from the hardware store.

12:37 a.m. on March 13, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

As Bill suggested, check the brand on your tent and contact the manufacturer. This site has a manufacturers' list or just do a Yahoo search. Tents come in all shapes and sizes, so if you want something more than just a tarp to put over it, you need to match the fly to the tent or as Bill also suggested, have one custom made.

There's a big MEC in Vancouver. As good a place to start as any.

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply