About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Boot Shrink? Asolo TPS520 GTX

8:01 p.m. on March 21, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

On a trip to the US I purchased these boots and have used them on and off on my world trip including some use in the Andes in South America. I would say they are well worn in a have had no issues with fit until now.

Whilst in New Zealand I was on a 3 day hike when on the 2nd day the boots got extremely wet. Overnight I left them outside to dry. The next morning almost immediately I noticed a pain in my left toe. The top of the boot now touches the top of my toe where the boot flexes. The only thing I can assume is that they have shrunk as they are still the same now a few weeks later.

Is this common? Is there anything I can do? Should I contact Asolo?

Thanks in advance.

Jon.

9:40 p.m. on March 21, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,742 forum posts

I would contact Asolo. I'm not familiar with this model, but I have an old pair of Asolo full leather boots that spent plenty of time submersed in NZ streams and rivers and never changed at all, as far as I can tell. You may be able to have a good shoe repair shop stretch them out a bit.

4:06 a.m. on May 14, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Your boots may well have dried in the sun, causing them to dry too quickly which will cause the leather to stiffen and form creaes that will influence points of flex and therefore cause rubbing. If you take them to a shoe repairer he will need to have a hinged last to get into the boot and then he/she will be able to stretch them for you. I would say to top this kind of thing happening ensure you don't heat your boots and take shapers or stuff your boots with paper to keep shape!!

Cheers

D

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply