Optimus 199 fuel question

9:12 p.m. on March 23, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Greetings from a new member.

I apologize if this has been discussed already.

I have recently found an old Optimus 199 that I had forgotten about (long story). What I can't remember about it is what fuel it uses; naphthylated gasoline, kerosene, alcohol, et.c.?

I am in the process of locating a rebuild/parts kit for it already as I wish to add it to my arsenal of camping stoves. It would compliment my Trangia 25 very well, especially if it burns alcohol.

I love the concept of using Clear Springs grain alcohol for fuel.

'Yeast

1:28 p.m. on March 24, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

So I've since found a site that shows the 199 as multi-fuel. Now my question is (and I'm assuming the answer to be "yes") do I need to switch jets/orifices/nozzles (pick your nomenclature)?

I wish I hadn't misspent my adolescense and could remember this kind of crap.

'Yeast

3:00 a.m. on March 25, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Perhaps this will help-
http://www.qvist.nl/AA%20Exploded%20views/Optimus%20199.pdf

According to this schematic, the 199 will burn kerosene, white gas (Coleman fuel, Shellite, etc.),and alcohol. It looks as if there are two sets of nozzles-one for gas and one for alcohol. However, my XGK burns alcohol and white gas with the same nozzle and has a different one for kerosene, so that would be worth checking.

This site sells a repair kit for the 199-
http://packstoves.com/optimus%20pages/optimus%20stove%20repair%20kits.htm

11:26 a.m. on March 26, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Here is another parts diagram. http://www.spiritburner.com/optimus199exp.htm

I think the Optimus 11 has the same burner as the 199 (or at least very similar). Here are the instructions for the 11 http://www.spiritburner.com/optimus_11_instructions_1.htm

All that said, I think it's best if you forward the 199 to me for safekeeping. :)

6:19 p.m. on March 26, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks for the storage offer, but I am pretty sure that I can manage. 'Sides, wanna use the thing this spring on a mountain bike ride over in Pennsyltucky.

Thanks for the linky-dinks. I'll manage to decipher the images and ascertain the jet/nozzle that it has. Really hope it's for alcohol. Would make it easier to carry one fuel type for the stoves we'll be using.

Bruce

10:41 a.m. on March 27, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

If my terrible memory serves me right you use the regular nipple for gas and kerosene. You use a special nipple and a restrictor tube for alcohol. The 199 is an amazing stove, perhaps a bit overpowered for the stove size.

Action shot:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/meganandrusty/millelacskathiostateparkaugust20-2.jpg

Burning alcohol will work fine, but the heat output will not be nearly what you get with gas or kerosene.

[Edited by Dave: fixed image link]

12:39 p.m. on March 27, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,362 forum posts

alan may be right, but on other multifuel stoves I have, the white gas and compressed gas jets are different from the kerosene jet. Way back, before I looked, got surprised, then talked to a couple stove manufacturers, I thought the white gas jet would be the smaller diameter. But no, it turns out to be the other way around - the kerosene jet is a smaller diameter hole, apparently because the molecule is bigger, so the energy stored is greater per unit volume. This is true for my Primus MFS and all the MSR stoves I have (XGK, Whisperlite International, Dragonfly), as well as the Coleman Peak One International. The Primus MFS uses the same jet for white gas and butane/propane canisters, but a slightly smaller opening jet for kerosene. The jets for most of my MSR stoves are marked "G" for white gas and "K" for kerosene (one was unmarked on the white gas jet). I never owned an Optimus multifuel and never looked closely at other people's.

8:16 p.m. on March 27, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

In looking at the 199 schematic, it shows 2 separate pieces for alcohol-a jet and a restrictor tube-from the other one, presumably kerosene and white gas. Like Bill says, my XGK just has one jet marked G and one K. I burned alcohol in my XGK using the G jet. It seemed to take about twice as much fuel for the same result as white gas.

12:35 p.m. on March 28, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I think the second restrictor tube is for high altitude, versus kero. The burner for the 199 is the same as the burner for the 111T and mostly the same as the burner for the 11. I don't have an 11, but I do have the other two. As I recall, the only changes to make to the burner are for alcohol and altitude.

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply