I need a Manual for Jansport Rockies 100 backpack

4:46 p.m. on April 2, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I bought a backpack in excellent condition. Looking for owners manual ? Have not been able to locate on line. Looking for ideas.

10:32 p.m. on April 3, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,357 forum posts

I'm not sure why you would need a manual for a backpack, especially Jansport's. They are pretty straightforward with their adjustments.

Basic to all packs (external frame, internal frame, frameless, day packs, weekenders, expedition packs) is to load them with the heavier stuff close to your back and, for trail hiking, high up, with lighter stuff farther out and lower (that's why sleeping bag compartments are always on the bottom). If you are using the pack while skiing, climbing, or hiking through rough cross-country, the heavier stuff goes low in the pack, but still against your back.

Once filled with your load, close the zippers and tighten all containment straps - lid, side and cross-back, and other tightener straps. This compresses the load and keeps it from bouncing around (make every effort to put everything inside the pack, and certainly do not dangle stuff on the outside, where it swings and pendulums all over the place - exception is ice ax, crampons, poles, pickets, and shovels when put in their dedicated loops, pockets, and sleeves, but still not swinging all over the place).

Once loaded, loosen all the carrying straps, put the pack on, and fasten the waist harness. Cinch the waist so it rides on your hip bones. If the pack has the lifters on the hip belt, next tighten these. The idea is to put the main weight on your hips.

Next fasten, but not tighten, the sternum strap, if any (a properly designed and fitted pack doesn't really need a sternum strap, but most designs are compromises). Then tighten the shoulder straps (the buckles at the lower end) to hold the pack fairly tightly against your back. Next, tighten the load lifters on the shoulder straps, if any (these are the straps that come off the upper part of the shoulder straps to the upper part of the pack). These load lifters pull the weight up off your shoulders and transfer it to your waist.

Only thing I've left out for the vast majority of packs is the shoulder-width adjustment. But that's pretty obvious when you are trying it on.

Well, that pretty well covers every pack out there, with the exception of tumplines - if you use a tumpline, you will already know what it is and how to use it.

November 21, 2014
Quick Reply