Jansport D3 or D5

6:13 p.m. on May 8, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi.

It finally happened. The shoulder straps on my Jansport D3 or D5 (I can't even remember, but the lower main section zipper has 3 straight runs rather than the semi-circle - maybe this helps) have given out. This is a great pack and I love it to death. I'm not ready to give up to get a "new and improved" pack, because, quite frankly, they're not. Where can I get a new set or straps for this one?

I can't imagine that shoulder straps for an external frame are so hard to come by, but I've tried the Campmor.com site, Ramsey Outdoor site, REI site, and Jansport itself. From what I can see, The Carson (current offering from Jansport) seems to have a similar architecture, and I'd figure that the shoulder straps could be interchangeable.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. I've had this pack since was in Boy Scouts and now my daughter and wife are starting to get active in Girl Scouts and this is something that should have tons of life left in it.

Thanks.

- Paul in AZ

9:36 p.m. on May 8, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Paul, your best bet may be to have someone make new straps for you. I can suggest a couple of places-
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/
Penny, who is Specialty Outdoors, posts on backpacking.net, another site I post on regularly, so I am familiar with her and her work. She gets rave reviews from people who have had her make repairs.

Another is http://www.rainypass.com/
Rainy Pass has been around a long time and also has a good reputation.

Both are worth talking to about your pack. I haven't seen one of them in years-mid 80's maybe?

9:59 p.m. on May 8, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I was in boy scouts from 1976 through mid 1982. This one was probably from the late 1970's-1980. The things that I love about this pack is that it's held together with nuts and bolts, making repairs and adjustments to the frame very simple.

Thanks for the two leads.

- Paul in AZ

11:27 p.m. on May 8, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

That's what I remember-they were bolted together. I had a Jansport travel pack from that era-it had a tube frame inside the bag with a waistbelt mounted on a piece that unbolted so you could pack it inside the pack. Once you folded the straps inside the back (body side)pocket and zipped it up, it looked like a little suitcase.

12:45 a.m. on May 9, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'm going to start looking at backpacks in the thrift shops that I know of, and see if any of them have shoulder straps that I might be able to use. You never know what you'll find, so I guess it's worth the extra few seconds (it's not like I'll have hundreds of vintage packs to look through). I've also noticed that there's a small section of seam in the lower compartment that's given out, so I'll have to sew that as well.

That is all.

- Paul in AZ

10:26 a.m. on May 9, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

The D3 and D5 were the same pack, the D3 was sized for taller folks and the D5 for shorter people. Otherwise they were identical. Jansport also made a D2 that was sort of a super-sized version of the D3/D5. I would start with Jansport and see if they can help.

Kelty's warranty department sells replacement parts, but you have to call the warranty number listed on their web site, the individual items are not shown anywhere on Kelty's site.

As I recall, the shoulder straps attached at the bar at the top with a piece of webbing through which a bolt went through. The webbing fit both above and below the bar and the bolt fit through both pieces. Nearly any shoulder strap should work, you may need to cut off excess webbing as many newer models have load adjustment straps attached.

Thrift shops and garage sales are a good idea. Older outfitting stores may have some laying around in a dusty back corner somewhere. Try the Camp Trails warranty department (now owned by Eureka tent, but they may still have something). Try Craigslist in your area. Lastly there is ebay, but you'd likely have to buy an entire pack and canibalize the parts.

8:15 p.m. on May 17, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

Paul:

Whereabouts in AZ. are you located? I am in Sierra Vista and have been doing custom sewn outdoor gear and repairs for over 17 years. Ran Business in Colorado from 1990 - 2002 and relocated. I too also own a Jansport D2 and can pull it out and see if I can replicate the straps. BTW, No I will not part with my D2! It is an awesome pack. I also might have some repair parts available as I am notorious for "Pack-ratting" any type of spare parts.

Jim

10:21 a.m. on May 20, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. John

My first instinct would be to contact Jansport directly, I have heard of Jansport replacing the hip belts on these packs, but if that failed I would go to a local alterationist and I she did not have a sewing maching heavy enough to sew the new shoulder straps, she would know who would. I love my "D" series Jansport, and I would not give a second thought to sinking a little money into it to keep it going.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply