Marmot Alpinist: burn hole

11:28 a.m. on May 17, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I had an ember land on my 1-wall 4 season Marmot alpinist tent. The ember made a small hole, less than 1/4 inch around. Still, I'd like to patch it. The tent itself came with some extra materials that seem to be mounted on sticky paper (patches). Cut a patch, take it off and stick it? No glue? There were no instructions regarding patching (or these ambiguous with the manual. I have heard there are glues you can use to patch a small hole like this, too (without using a patch). Suggestions? Thanks!

11:45 a.m. on May 17, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
937 forum posts

I like SeamGrip for patching small holes and tears. First put a piece of scotch tape over the hole on the inside, to hold everything in place. Then coat the other side with SeamGrip, overlapping spreading it onto the fabric far enough to get a good bond. Once it's dried, remove the tape and coat the other side.

For a tent, you need to evaluate how much stress is placed on the area of the hole. If it's in a spot that gets stretched tight, it's likely to tear further under tension. In that case a sewn patch may be a good idea. Alternately you can press a fabric patch into the wet SeamGrip (although that's overkill for most small tears in packs, jackets, etc.)

2:42 p.m. on May 18, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

thanks so much for your response. I'll pick up some seamgrip. If anybody else has suggestions, or experience using the extra little patch materials provided with marmot tents, further comments are welcome.

5:21 p.m. on May 19, 2007 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I agree- Seamgrip is magic for many applications. Next time back your tent up! lol

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply