Big Agnes screen repair

12:20 a.m. on June 18, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

My BA Seed House 3 has a tear in the screen at the door. Does anyone have any ideas on repairing the screen. Do I have to sew in new material all the way back to the zipper/seem, and is that even possible?

1:06 p.m. on June 18, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

Two things I have done when screens got a hole in them are:

1. If all the material is still there (straight cut or a corner tear), I just use my handy dental floss and "weave" the sides together, like lacing a boot - this pulls it together, but works.

2. If it is a hole (scouts seem to get sparks from the campfire melting holes, even when the tent is far from the fire ("no, I didn't poke a tentstake through the netting!"), I get a small amount of screen from REI or, more usually, my neighborhood shop, Redwood Trading Post. I think some fabric shops carry it as well. Cut a patch to extend an inch beyond the edges, then lace it in place around the edges of the patch and around the borders of the hole.

Hasn't happened to my personal tents (yet), but plenty of the scout troop's tents.

2:13 p.m. on June 23, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

My tear is about two feet long, just big enough for a yellow lab, so i don't think I'll be sewing it with floss. I'll try the screen patch that you mentioned, I found one @ REI.com. Thanks for the info.

7:19 p.m. on July 5, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

You might be better off sending it to Big Agnes for repair. I understand that their repair charges are quite fair. I just did a much smaller 3" repair on the mesh in the roof of my Seedhouse Superlight 2 (SL2). That no-see-um is harder to repair than some other types of mesh. I'm not so sure that a floss only repair would hold up without some SeamGrip or fabric to reinforce it.

Here's how I repaired mine. You could probably use a similar technique, but being that it's the door, it'll be more obvious. The basic technique was to stitch the repair shut, apply tape to one side, and apply SeamGrip on the opposite side. The tape was removed the following day after the SeamGrip had dried. Due to the light weight of the mesh, I had to be careful removing the tape, as I could have created a 2nd tear in the process. Once I got things started, though, I just held onto the line of SeamGrip and the tape came off cleanly and without damaging the mesh.

Normally, it wouldn't be necessary to do the stitching, but I found that the netting had stretched as it tore, so the edges didn't line up neatly. It was just easier to stitch it first. The SeamGrip should extend about 1/4" to either side of the repair. It is very durable. My repair is certainly stronger than the mesh was originally. It's just not as pretty.

10:22 p.m. on July 5, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

How durable is the Seedhouse mesh? I am looking into buying the SL3, but don't want to spend the money on a tent that will have to be replaced sooner rather than later.

1:38 a.m. on July 10, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I think I'll send it to BA and pay for them to fix it. It'll be done right and like you said cost less in the long run.
Other then the dog thrashing the door I like the tent, but the three man is only big enough for a two. Its very light and the vestibule is adequate.

4:21 a.m. on July 13, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Big Agnes is really great about fixing broken and damaged gear. Hit them up, they really will take care of your gear!

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply