Sleeping Bags and Dogs dont get along

10:00 p.m. on July 6, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I just got a brand new down sleeping bag. Left it out and my dog chewed two holes in it. Can anyone tel me how to fix this problem. The holes are each about an inch to two inches long.

12:50 a.m. on July 7, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,312 forum posts

What is the material of the outer shell of the sleeping bag? There are several brands of ripstop repair tape and patches available that work well for linear tears, and some will fix holes as well. The technique is first to get a closely matching color (if your fashion sense calls for contrasting colors, then you are free to choose whatever color you feel like - I have a packet that came in assorted colors, but only used the one color that was the closest match - not sure what to do with the bright yellow swatch). You can find the tape at some fabric stores, as well as EMS and REI. Cut a piece that is at least a half inch larger on all sides than the hole. Put this on the inside of the hole (this is a bit tricky, but can be done with some skill and dexterity - find a friend who can do such things). Cut a second piece of the same dimensions and put it on the outside, so you have matching patches inside and out. The sticky parts of the tape will be together (if you just do the outside, down will stick to the sticky side of the tape if the hole has any width). Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, the patching tape has a protective cover that you peel off just before attaching it to the shell.

Hmmm, seems like someone I talked to once said they used Seamseal to help with the gluing of the patches.

If the sleeping bag cover is Goretex, I think there is some gtx repair tape that is similar. However, the size of hole you describe should be okay for leakage once patched even with ripstop tape.

11:55 a.m. on July 8, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Depending on how much you paid for it, you may want to return it to the manufacturer and have them replace the damaged panels. Tape is a great idea for a less expensive bag, but if I had a $3-500 Western Mountaineering bag, for example, I'd probably eat whatever it costs and have them fix it. Another place to look for repair materials is a yacht supply store. I've bought ripstop repair materials at one before.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply