Kelty Radiant 3 - To seal or not to seal

11:22 p.m. on September 9, 2007 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

We used the tent in a horrendous storm and had some leakage. Minor and nothing that made it into the sleeping area (overhead between the rainfly and dome)but it is a concern as we plan on being in the same and worse in the future. There is nothing worse than getting wet on a cold raining night….in your down sleeping bag. I thought Kelty pre-sealed these. Is it necessary to seal the seams on the rain fly? What’s the best sealant if the recommendation is to go ahead and seal.

12:46 a.m. on September 11, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

If it is leaking, I'd go ahead and seal it; I don't see any point not to, regardless of whether or not Kelty may have sealed it at the factory. I'd use something like McNett seam sealer. Any good outdoor store like REI should have it or something similar.

There is another thread here on seam sealing if you aren't sure how to do it.

10:47 a.m. on September 11, 2007 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Thanks Tom,

It's a brand new tent so was not sure if there was potential harm to be done by sealing a factory sealed seam.

Long time camper but more of an out off the box guy so not very technical on these things.

We are getting more serious about our favorite activity so hope to be a regular poster here.

Cheers!

Greg

1:40 a.m. on September 12, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Greg, The sealant is basically a silicone goo that dries in a thin layer on the nylon, so you can't really do any damage. I have some made by Patagonia that they sell to seal their raingear (still in the package and that's what the label says it's for).

I am not sure how the factories seal the seams, but I believe some use some kind of tape; others may just do the same thing you can do at home. The idea is to seal up the sewing holes and the overlap between the panels.

btw, if you have a down bag without a Gore-Tex or similar fabric outer bag, like mine is, putting it in something like a Bibler Winter Bivy adds a bit of piece of mind in heavy weather-the Bibler is very light and I got mine used for $50. It's just a thin bag with a cross-chest zip. It also adds a few degrees of warmth to the bag.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply