camp trails backpack

8:23 p.m. on October 4, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have a camp trails external frame backpack [wildermes]. It has carried my "home" for hundreds of miles in the last 18 years. My last trip on the A.T. I slipped and 1 of the back straps of the waistbelt[the strap from the belt to the first horizontal bar on the frame] ripped lose from the waistbelt. I cann't find anybody to fix it or a replacement belt, unless I am not looking in the right place. Any suggestions.

I really don't want to give up this pack, I have yet to find one like this with the so convenient pockets. Espescialy the bottom back pocket with the tri-fold webbed siding. Ideal when you need to pack up in the rain.

Thanks,
Camperman and dlnaturegirl.

1:18 a.m. on October 5, 2007 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

There are several repair shops I know of who could fix that type of damage. Specialty Outdoors comes to mind. I know Penny from Specialty Outdoors through another site I post on. Check out her website- http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com

I think she can fix almost anything and does warranty repairs for The North Face. I highly recommend her.

9:51 a.m. on October 5, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Camp Trails was bought out years ago by Johnson Worldwide who also own Eureka tents. For a bit the packs were made under the Eureka brand name, but I think they no longer make packs. http://www.eurekatent.com/default.aspx Try customer service at Eureka and see if they can help you.

Another option may be to try Kelty's customer service and see if you can retro fit a Kelty hipbelt to your frame. Or, search through thrift stores for a used pack and canibalize the parts.

1:12 p.m. on October 8, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

Campmor http://www.campmor.com used to carry all sorts of repair parts (hip belts, shoulder straps) for external frame packs (I've replaced the ones on my ancient external a couple times) - I couldn't find it online - but would be that they still have the stuff in stock -

3:18 p.m. on October 26, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Johnson Outdoors does in fact own the Camp Trails label, and has for decades. And the previous post is correct; They have stopped making the Camp Trails packs and don't even have replacement parts. I just called the company on Monday (10/22/07)and spoke to their "comsumer sales dept" because I too have a "Wilderness" pack with a trashed hip belt, and I was trying to get a replacement. Campmor doesn't have them any more either, since they can't get them from the company. I'm busily stiching my straps back on the hip belt myself, as I leave for a trip next Thursday. My suggestion is check the caigslist in your town and try to find someone selling an old Camptrails Pack for cheap and harvest the straps off of it.

2:33 a.m. on November 16, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

A blast from the past. Camptrails...WOW.....You should ditch that pack without any doubt... Pack technology, and manufacturing technology in general, has really come a long, long way...(and gotten cheaper.)

Can anybody explain the historical connection between the former Camptrails manufacturer and the former Camptrails retail store on Chambers Street in lower Manhattan?

That store long, long ago changed hands, and is now called Tent and Trails, located near original address at Park Place....and it's not very exceptional, unless you enjoy being insulted by small-time NYC retailers...

I purchased a Camptrails pack with cotton bag and aluminum frame there in about 1971 at the store, plus a $35 duck down bag, and three years later, very shortly after they had changed hands, a "Marine" Goldline rope....which was sold by new owners for climbing... A gross mistake of the sort they remain somewhat able to make forty years later...

The Camptrails brand.... as pointed out, has long since become just a name....

But I still often use the down bag with Egyptian cotton shell, in summer and warmer spring and fall conditions, though it's a shadow of its former self...It still very very light...Best camping gear investment I'll ever make... Probably manufactured on contract in Europe....Or heck maybe it wasn't branded Camptrails at all... But the pack definitely was.

-----

4:49 p.m. on December 11, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

I own a small military equipment store and just took in a CAMPTRAILS backpack on a trade. This is an awesome pack even by military standards. Extremely well built, large, external frame bars, plenty of outside pockets, well padded pack straps, waist belt etc. I'd use this anytime anyplace. TC

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply