tent fly ripped

6:15 p.m. on March 9, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

My son has a Northwest Territory 8X6 Backpack Dome tent and the fly has a huge rip in it. Can I patch it with something, or how can I replace just the fly? thanks.

10:33 a.m. on March 10, 2008 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

you can use some nylon tent repair tape on the inside and outside of the fly and then seam seal around each piece of tape.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any repair on a huge rip in very stormy weather.

Replacing the fly may cost as much as your tent did when new.

Might be time to look for a new tent. Stay away from tents sold at the "Mart" stores.

Try Sports Authority or such. They usually have the better brands that aren't too expensive for the average camper.

"Eureka!" is a very good brand and fairly inexpensive.

10:50 a.m. on March 12, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

We did what you said-camping is this weekend-we'll see if it holds up. Thank you for your suggestions! This is a brand-new tent and he was just careless with the fly. Hopefully this will work out.

6:26 p.m. on March 20, 2008 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

All my best tents since 1978 have had to be discarded due to fly death, usually the result of UV damage. And what good's a tent body without the fly? My old North Face A-frame Toulumne, my wonderful NF Westwind, all in the scrap bin of history just because the flys started ripping.

Ripstop tape? Won't work. Duct tape? Looks like crap and won't work. Time to get another tent or god forbid, use a tarp over the tent and tie it down snug.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply