newbie question

12:41 a.m. on May 4, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I just bought an REI half dome 2 hc. We set it up inside and I can't figure out what the orange loops are that are all over the outside of the rainfly. My other tent has these on the rainfly but they are places for a rod that will hold the rainfly out away from the tent some. I am assuming all these little orange loops are for tying off the rainfly to trees and limbs? Any insight or info would be appreciated, thanks

8:01 a.m. on May 4, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Most likely, the loops are to add tie out/down lines to keep the rainfly from contacting the body of the tent. This greatly improves ventilation, and keeps condensation from forming and dripping INSIDE the tent.

My Kelty G2 has them as well. If I don't tie the rainfly out, it flaps in the wind, keeping me awake.

TIP: Using retro-reflective lines to tie the fly out will help to keep you from tripping over them in the dark, possibly tearing your fly.

12:40 p.m. on May 4, 2008 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

They are guyout points. Go to and look at the instructions on the website.

9:12 p.m. on May 4, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I checked everywhere I could think on the REI site and didn't see anything about guyouts, i'm assuming they are just tie offs right?

10:43 p.m. on May 4, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Go to
Scroll down to, and mouse over, "guylines" in green. You'll get a popup window that explains it.

It's also covered in your tents instructions. Look in the lower right hand corner.

March 23, 2018
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

More Topics
This forum: Older: Help with TNF Dome Tent Model Newer: Cleaning an Older Down Bag
All forums: Older: For sale north face heli 95 and 94 Newer: Camping & hiking on St.John US Virgin Is.