Down Bag?

12:24 a.m. on May 14, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Hello,

I have a MEC sleeping bag filled with down rated at -12 Celsius. I took it out of my closet the other day to air it out, and I noticed that it feels more "wrinkly" per say. It just doesn't feel as puffy as it felt when I bought it which was a year ago. Until now, it has been kept in a compression sack, which could be contributing and making it less puffy... Is this alright? I need to use it in a few days on a kayaking trip and I don't want a faulty sleeping bag...

Also, The feathers that are in it are coming out... its not a whole lot of them, but there are certainly a few... Should I be concerned?

Thanks for all your help!

Eric D.

9:26 a.m. on May 14, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

You should not store any sleeping bag in a compression sack. However, it should recover some and perhaps most of its loft; did you shake it out to fluff it up? Are you expecting temps near -12 C on your kayak trip? If so, you may be cold.

Some loss of feathers is to be expected.

11:09 a.m. on May 14, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Try putting the bag in the drier on the air only cycle for about 30 minutes to fluff it back up. Sometimes that does wonders.

7:28 p.m. on May 14, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,327 forum posts

Kayaking trips tend to be damp. Down bags do not like dampness, and especially do not like getting soaked. Be sure you pack it in a drybag, and take precautions to keep water far far away during the trip.

9:34 p.m. on May 14, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

I will. Its two nights out, so I should be fine. Weather is supposed to be good (20 and sunny)... One of my concerns is it losing insulation by absorbing the air moisture... it is very very wet here, and the air is clammy...

10:54 p.m. on May 25, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Have you considered a silk liner? You may also want to turn your bag inside out to "dry" if you can find a dry spot while at camp either morning or evening. These techniques can help stave off dampness in a bag.

9:22 a.m. on May 27, 2008 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

If you see feathers poking out of the bag, do not pull them out. Try pulling them back into the bag. Notice I said "pull" not push! Just grab some of the fabric below the feather and pull. The holes will disappear, too. Try not to have any feathers sticking out when if you put it in the dryer. The tumbling bag can loose feathers rapidly.

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply