MSR Hyperflow daily maintenance?

8:54 p.m. on May 28, 2008 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

My last two units have been the MSR SweetWater. Eventually broke the handle on the SweetWater, replacement unit is in need of a new filter cartridge. So instead of purchasing a new cartridge I took advantage of a sale price on the Hyperflow. Upon receiving I played around with it, took it apart, practiced the reverse flow cleaning and then as noted on the instruction sheet set it up for storage. Problem: The instruction sheet noted to do the reverse flow process daily! In the real world with relatively clear water is that really necessary? If so, saving the ~3oz and having a more compact unit is not worth it relative to the SweetWater. Which just required using the brush when things got a little slow. About ~12L on the last trip or once every 3-4 days. The Hypeflow requires taking apart and flipping two one way valves. Loose a valve or any other part and your are out of luck.

The MSR Autoflow Gravity Filter with the simple flip and let the purified water flush out the filter is looking real attractive. Similar weight as the SweetWater plus you get the dirty water carrying bag. Eliminates needing to dump the contents of a silNylon stuff sack to carry water. No need to filter at the source of your water. No moving parts to break.

12:56 p.m. on May 30, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Actually, the recommendation is once every 8 liters. I suspect that's a little overstated. But this is new technology and nobody's really sure how it will perform long-term. If you're pumping pretty clean water, you can probably flush it less often. I'd just pay attention to the flow rate and backflow when it starts to get slower or harder to pump.

When I was testing the Hyperflow last fall, I purposely filtered extremely dirty water until the filter was completely clogged and would no longer pump. Then I tried to clean it. It took a lot of backflow time to get it cleaned out, and I never was able to get close to the original flow rate. So, as with any gear, you're probably better off doing regular maintenance than waiting for a failure.

It's good that you've practiced disassembly and cleaning at home. The production Hyperflow I just received was so tightly assembled that I had to use pliers to unscrew the small check valve housing. I'd also suggest practicing the filter test at least once, so you have a baseline "good" test with which you can compare if you think you may have a damaged filter. The difference can be pretty subtle.

I believe that the Autoflow uses the same filter as the Hyperflow, so cleaning requirements should be about the same, although the process looks easier for the Autoflow. But cleaning before the flow is constricted is even more important, since you have no force but gravity to flush the filter.

11:33 p.m. on May 30, 2008 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Thanks for you correction of "once every 8 liters". Did practice the filter test. From what the MSR site noted it was a simple reverse the flow in the Autoflow. No mention of valves to reverse or take anything apart. I think gravity is the "one way" valve.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply