About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Coleman Feather Petrol Cooker 442

6:03 a.m. on August 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello everybody, I just started my tour and first time i tried to use my Coleman Feather Petrol Cooker 442, I pumped, but I couldn't get any pressure on it, so no fuel is coming out which can be lit. If there is anyone you knows about the problem, please let me know what i must do to get pressure into the cooker. Thanks Klaus

10:23 a.m. on August 17, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Hello Klaus,
Hope you are having a good time on your tour other than the stove.
I used to have one of these so let's see...
Turn your stove so you are looking at the filler cap (front of stove)
1 - Before pumping you have to move the red tipped on/off lever to the off position (9:00 position) this is located on the right hand side of the stove just above the petrol tank. After pumping, and before lighting the stove you have to move the lever to the on/high position in order to let fuel out of the tank.

2- You now have to open the pump knob by turning it one turn counter clockwise (this lets the pump pull in the air to pressurize the tank), You must place your thumb over the little hole in the knob while pumping, then quickly close the pump knob by turning clockwise until tight.

You should now have pressure in the tank. If not there are two common problems you need to check for:
1 - Your pump cup has dried out and is not fitting tightly against the wall of your pump tube. This can be fixed by removing the pump assembly and coating the cup with mineral oil, I have also used lip balm in a pinch. If you do this pay close attention to how it is assembled and make sure you lubricate (use saliva) any rubber O rings before re-assembly.
2 - You have a leak else where, valve assembly, filler cap or other fitting. You can check for leaks by spraying or coating the suspect areas with soapy water and look for bubbles as you, or a buddy pump the stove.
If you suspect a leak and are unsure of how to fix it DO NOT USE YOUR STOVE!
I'm sure you already knew that, but I know what hunger can do to a man. HaHa!

Here is a link that will take you to a PDF file that contains the manual for this stove.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/pdf/442.pdf

Best of luck to you!

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply