Zebco - Quantum "Micro" Grip Repair

11:43 a.m. on October 7, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

This ones probably for Trouthunter or SevenBridgesAngler? I own a Zebco Quantum Micro 4' pole. Anyway, the foam grip it has was recently involved in a cat attack, and clawed to pieces. Problem here is, the reel is held with two Graphite "rings" like any other fishing pole, but instead of having a threaded section to tighten the two of them, the pressure from the foam handle was the only thing holding them in place. Now i've looked all over to find a replacement with the same ID/OD, but no luck. Ive contacted Zebco (now i know theyre poles are just made overseas, time to switch brands) Cabellas, Walmart, Kmart, many fishing suppliers and repair shops in the area... So if anyone either HAS a replacement, or knows where i can get one, itd be much appreciated, or just any ideas on what to do... I love this rod, SUPER lightweight, and small. Heres the dimensions for the pole grip:

OD - 7/8in
ID - 5/16in
Length - 8in

I can work with sizes plus or minus here too, except for OD, has to be at least within .050"+/-

6:12 p.m. on October 7, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Hey dp85,
You should not have too much trouble with this.
Try Cabella's !!
or this site probably has what you need or something very close.
http://www.shofftackle.com/evagrips.html

I'll see what else I can find. You have black EVA foam?
It is quite possible to work with a grip that is not to your exact specs. You can get friction rings (reel seats) of the correct diameter for the new grip O.D.
As far as I.D. it is possible to build up the rod O.D. to fit a larger grip I.D.

Just curious, do you plan to take this rod backpacking?

7:47 p.m. on October 7, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

hey trout thanks, but ya ive tried cabelas. i CAN build up the ID, ive got plenty if plastics, and metals here at work. its that OD thats super important to hold the reel "rings". That site may come in handy. not sure yet. Yes i have EVA foam currently. sorry this message is kinda skippy, just leaving work, a lot goin on here... ya hopefully i get to take this rod out backpackin. I have my Daiwa now, with that Tic Cetus reel, pretty good, UL combo. I like it anyway. Well thanks again, let me know if ya find out anything please.

6:51 p.m. on October 8, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts
9:31 a.m. on October 15, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

well still no luck. even using our lightest material at the shop here, to make the pole fit the larger grip, would make it weigh much more than it was prior to this problem. Im kind of thinking about buying a new 'pack pole'. what do you think of these Trouthunter: http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Daiwa-Spinmatic-C-Ultralight-Pack-Freshwater-Rods-s/1211.htm I have my old OLD one of these. it works pretty good, im just worried about breaking it. It was my dads years ago, so i just dont want to risk it anymore.

10:28 a.m. on October 15, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Probably the best way to build up a pole is to use materials similar to the poles composition, ie. fiberglass. This may be more than you want to mess with if you have no experience working with fiberglass.
I have done some of this, but prefer to let someone else do it and spend my time doing what I know how to do and just pay them for their time.
I would feel fine going with the rod pictured in your link.
You will find several of these packable rods ranging in quality, I prefer 4 piece fly rods and 3 or 4 piece spinning rods for backpacking.
You can throw away the soft case pictured in your link above, or use it for something else. It simply will not offer adequate protection for backpacking.
You need a stiff storage tube whether one you make your own or buy one. A good place to buy is Cabella's, if you want to make one you will need to find a light plastic tube you can cap off at each end, with one end removable of course.
If you can find some 1 1/2" schedule #80 PVC it works well, you do not want the more common schedule #40 it is way to heavy.
My pack (Kelty) has sleeves down both sides of the pack between the side pockets and the pack, this is a great way to carry a rod tube, a lot of packs have a similar design.

9:24 a.m. on October 16, 2008 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

hey thats not a bad idea trout. my dad actually builds yachts for a living, and has everything i would need to glass the pole at his house. i think its worth a shot. Oh and ya my old Daiwa backpack rod has a clear plastic tube of some sort. i didnt think anyone actually used them though haha. oops. ive just been strapping my to my pack in whatever loops are free at the time. Then i keep my reel in the stuff sack it came with. oh well, now i know. Catch any good fish lately? What kind of lures/baits do you usually use out in the lakes and rivers out yonder?

11:45 a.m. on October 16, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Where you fish, and when, has a lot to do with what you use.

Best advise I can give you is to find a website/forum pertaining to fishing your area and get your info there.
Not that I don't want to help, but what works here may not work where you go, and a lot of that is also different techniques for different areas/conditions as well.

Most of my experience is fishing small streams to large tailwaters ( water released from dams and power generators) I have some experience fishing lakes but it is not my forte.
I have a post in an older thread, mostly on technique for spinfishing for trout and panfish in streams, the method described is called the "The drift", it is very effective, low budget, and easy to learn. The "drift" is one technique that works well in many different areas, and is time proven. Here is the link to that thread, scroll down to the 11th post.
http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/43732.html

I will say that natural bait is hard to beat if you're spinfishing (worms,corn,salmon eggs,crickets)and if you are flyfishing it will be VERY area specific, even to the point of changing flys on a daily or hourly basis.
If you have any trouble finding info let me know, I'm pretty good at finding area specific sites.
Lot's of great books out there as well.
Hope that helps

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply