Seam grip remover?

8:43 a.m. on October 27, 2008 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

I've got a nylon jacket with about 30 or so splotches of seam grip on it, from many years of being the jacket I wear when I seam-seal my tents. Is there anything I can soak the jacket in, or wash into it, that will dissolve the seam grip without affecting the nylon of the jacket? Thanks in advance!

11:29 a.m. on October 27, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

My recollection is that the SeamGrip people have a recommendation for removal of excess before the cement is completely cured, but not for removal after curing. You might be able to carefully peel it off. But be very careful with any solvents - many solvents I have seen suggested will actually damage the nylon. Test anything that gets recommended to you on a safe corner of the jacket (especially anything recommended on web sites, including this one)

8:04 p.m. on October 28, 2008 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Which sovents would I want to try, were I the experimental type?

8:40 p.m. on October 31, 2008 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Really though, I'm clueless. Paint thinner? Nail polish remover?

11:12 p.m. on October 31, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

You could donate the jacket to the high calling of scientific experimentation, select several solvents, try each one on a different spot and report your findings here.
I'm sure many would be grateful for your efforts.

Here is the contact info & Technical Data Sheet from McNETT CORP. it is in PDF format.

ENJOY!
http://mcnett.baron-co.com/images/editor/ACFKWIEtN.pdf

You may want to try Acetone or MEK, but both of those will probably destroy your jacket, as Bill S. wisely warns!!

A safer alternative would be Pur-Strip 300 made by Dynaloy, it is safe on Nylon 101, Polyethylene, and Polypropylene.
I have no idea how much it costs or what the minimum amount you can purchase would be.
It is a product used to clean and strip Urethane residues from industrial equipment.
Here is some info on Pur-Strip 300
http://www.dynaloy.com/Products/tech_data_sheets/PUR-Strip%20300%20PDF.pdf

INFORMATION IS SUPPLIED FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, NO LIABILITY IS ASSUMED, THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES OF SUCCESS IMPLIED OR WRITTEN

12:25 a.m. on November 13, 2008 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

The jacket in question is the original Marmot windshirt. As such, it has quite a thin, supple outer nylon shell.

With this said, I'm going to try to track a few solvents down and test them out.

Trouthunter, since you've guaranteed my success, all the blame is on you if it fails; my heart WILL be broken if I can't salvage this jacket.

11:37 a.m. on November 13, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

OTOH, since the windshirt is to be used for wandering in the wilderness, a couple of spots of seamsealer adds character. It helps with the aura of being a dirtbag outdoor type. I would just leave it and display it proudly {;=>D

4:26 p.m. on November 13, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,555 forum posts

Yeah, you want your gear to look used and worn.
This gives other hikers the sense that you have a great deal of experience.

I was able to accomplish that by buying used gear back in the days when I was still in school. Although I did not know what I was doing, and some say I still don't.

Geez, some people get all upset over getting wet, or lost!

1:45 p.m. on November 18, 2008 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Yeah, I like the character of the shirt, for sure, but I'm really more just curious if it can be done, and this shirt is one I'd be most willing to part with if things went wrong.

I've got a little "character" built into nearly every one of my pieces of gear, actually. The way I figure it, gear is like a truck, and the more "dents" a piece has, the more stories I have to tell around the fire, right?

9:19 a.m. on November 24, 2008 (EST)
RETAILER
5 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

You will never get seam grip off a nylon jacket. Given time the jacket will rot and you will have splotches of seam grip left.

11:02 a.m. on November 25, 2008 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

I was using mineral spirits the other day to thin silicone for seam sealing a tent. The hardened plug from the half used tube of silicone was pretty hard when it fell in the little ziploc bowl - it dissolved after a little while. Maybe some gentle brushing/dabbing with mineral spirits?

2:21 p.m. on November 25, 2008 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,076 forum posts

Now that's some good testimony, NotQuiteThere. While I'm tracking down some Pur-Strip, I'll give mineral spirits a shot...

7:13 p.m. on January 17, 2009 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,406 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Remember, too when using solvents, even if they do not show any problem initially, the longer they sit, the more dis-solving they will dooooooooo.

2:49 p.m. on February 21, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I took off the waterproofing of an old North Face TentFly . I used Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and warm water. I not only took off the water proofing but it also comes out cleaner than ever. It was the rubbing action with rubber gloves that did the trick. If you get a glue type look while doing this it pulls everything off. Let me know how it goes. New Hiker 2B

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply