Re-stringing Kelty DA 17 aluminum poles question.

7:45 p.m. on January 25, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have the Kelty Manatra 7 tent and the stretch cord that holds the aluminum poles together has lost its elsticity. Which makes it a little more challenging to set-up and take down. Is there a kit that can be purchased to re-string the poles and can I do it myself?

Thanks,

Kellen

9:18 p.m. on January 25, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Welcome Kellen!

There are a number of tent pole repair kits on the market. Most include a length of 1/8 inch shock cord, some washers, and a length of wire or cable to pull the shock cord through the pole sections. Most I've seen are in the 5-10 dollar range. I would imagine they are available at almost any outdoor store.

This is only me being me, but if one of MY poles had gone bad, I'D probably replace the cord in ALL of my poles.

Good luck, wear safety Glasses.

9:20 a.m. on January 31, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hi Kellen,

I agree with f-klock,

Do all the poles at one time.
There should be a tutorial on the subject somewhere on the internet. Cold weather seems to reduce the elasticity of shock cord as does storing your poles folded.
You can get a little extra life out of your cord by stretching it some, untie the cord, pull out 3 - 5 inches, retie, and cut off excess. I personally would just restring the poles with new cord, but stretching and retying is a good field fix.

Maybe give Kelty a call and ask for recommendations, they might be inclined to send you some info or a repair kit. It wouldn't hurt to ask, and companies do need to hear back from customers in order to improve their products.

Here is a link to Campmor.com, they offer a repair kit.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21912?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=21912

8:15 p.m. on February 9, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thank you both for your advice.

1:38 a.m. on February 10, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

When you replace the shock cord, the tension should be just tight enough to hold the pole sections together. You can avoid over stretching the shock cord by folding your poles starting in the middle.

10:52 a.m. on February 14, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thank you all for your suggestions, they will be very helpful in the future. I did contact Kelty and the replacement of the shock cord is cover under warranty. I shipped them to their Boulder, CO location, thanks again.

7:53 p.m. on February 14, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Good, glad to hear it.

8:35 a.m. on February 27, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have received my tent poles and Kelty did as they said and replaced the shock cord in all 4 poles under warrenty no questions asked. Life is good, can't wait to go camping this spring. Thanks again to everyone.

11:04 p.m. on February 27, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey Kellen,

I have had good service from Kelty, I'm glad they took care of your poles.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply