Sleeping Bag + Scissors = :o(

11:22 p.m. on February 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

A few moments ago I was cutting a box with scissors and thought to myself, "I'm sure close to my sleeping bag." It turns out I was so close in fact I was actually cutting into it!

The bag is a Kelty Clear Creek and while not particularly expensive I would like to repair it. The hole is fairly straight though I did cut slightly into the filling. I'd say it's about three inches long or so. I read on another post that there are several types of ripstop tape. Would this be appropriate for this bag? The outer shell is nylon double ripstop.

Thanks,

Nick

11:38 p.m. on February 2, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Ouch!

Too bad there isn't a back button for that!

I'm kinda old school, I would sew with polyester thread and coat with shoo goo or equivalent.

I'm sure someone on here can tell you about the ripstop tape.

BTW, I've done something similar before.

12:22 a.m. on February 3, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

You can get ripstop tape at REI or EMS in various colors. You should clean the area thoroughly. If the cut is long enough. you might consider putting a piece of the tape on the inside as well as the one on the outside. The tape works pretty well, though it eventually may come loose after a dozen or so washings. I think Kelty has their own brand of the tape, so you might contact them.

10:49 a.m. on February 3, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I need to do a couple of similar repairs. Would it make sense to apply the tape and then hand-stitch the tape edges to keep it from coming off? I'm certain more needle holes are not going to do a down bag any favors, but the patch will remain in place while in the field. Any thoughts?

6:19 a.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

If I stitch repair a piece of gear, I like to then seal/bond the area with shoo goo or if it is a field repair I use a lighter and part of a hot glue stick.

You can also use stitch seal from Aquaseal, it is made for boots but works well on other things too.

11:27 a.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Great tip, thanks.

7:23 p.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Totally agree with trouthunter - seamseal or anything like that works great. I've used it on thermarests, and tents or anything that gets a hole in it.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply