About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Replacing a lost zipper slide/pull

3:29 p.m. on February 3, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

A few years ago, the kids at church borrowed our family tent. They are very expensive, so we can't just go buy a new one. Anyway, they lost two door zipper slider/pulls, so I need to replace them before we take our kids camping this spring.

Does anybody know of any place where I might find size K slider/pulls without the whole 30 some odd dollar kit?

Thanks,

Bubandieselsmom

5:09 p.m. on February 3, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

You can replace the pull with a paperclip threaded thru the hole where the pull used to be. Thread it thru until you get to the second curve in the paperclip. And it will stay better than the original pull did.

6:40 p.m. on February 3, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Gary is correct about replacing the pulls.

But are you also saying you need the slide as well?

Or just the pull?

8:35 p.m. on February 3, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts
10:05 p.m. on February 3, 2009 (EST)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

You can replace the pull with a paperclip threaded thru the hole where the pull used to be. Thread it thru until you get to the second curve in the paperclip. And it will stay better than the original pull did.

I've found that small split rings work well as a fix for missing zipper pulls. The kind you get with whistles or lanyards. They're better than paper clips as they are stronger and have no sharp points. When packed, be it folded and rolled, or stuffed, the paperclip attached to a tent zipper may become bent and could penetrate the fabric.

I think this is all a moot point because Bubandieselsmom stated that the sliders/pulls were missing.

Thanks Jim, for the great Zipper repair site. Bookmarking that one!

10:52 p.m. on February 3, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

You are correct F_Klock I have used those too for replacing the zipper pull, just did'nt come to mind at the moment.

11:59 p.m. on February 3, 2009 (EST)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

You might check the zipper selection at the Rain Shed. There are ways to replace just the zipper pull, I have done so packs and a tent. In their catalog there are tips on replacing zipper pulls.

http://www.therainshed.com/

This store has been around for 30 years and is a good source of outdoor materials. Long time ago one could buy Gore-Tex by the yard from the Rainshed. Great for the do-it yourselfer.

6:14 a.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

If you use the paper clip method it helps to wrap it with a piece of duct tape a couple times, you get a better grip. I carry a couple for repairs since they are so lightweight.

They can also be used as an emergency line guide on a fishing pole if bent correctly and ductaped to the pole, or wrap it with cord and glue in place with a lighter and part of a hot glue stick.

2:25 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

MSR makes a couple(slightly more expensive) zipper repair products; #5 and #8 replacement slides with pulls, and the reflective zipper pull kit found here:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/reflective-zipper-pull-kit/

Though pricey at $19.95, these pulls are an excellent solution to noisy metal tent pulls as well as broken backpack and sleeping bag pulls. Besides the list of vendors from the link above, find them here:

http://www.moontrail.com/msr-kit-zip-pull.php

I hope this helps you.
I just found this cheaper but non reflective set of 5 pulls. Ebay item #400027502655

6:20 p.m. on February 5, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Maybe you can find something that will work for you on this sight they have bailed me out before.

http://www.strapworks.com/

12:16 a.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I have an old Land's End canvas attache bag which lost a pull tab probably a dozen years ago; I replaced it with a split ring and kept going. The bag is finally starting to show a little character.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply