New Tent Owner.. What are these for?

9:26 a.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I apologize if i posted in the wrong board.

I inherited my first tent from my dad, it was an old A-frame (i mean really old).

Now, i bought a new tent and it included some stuff i don't know how to use because similar items weren't on the old A-frame nor with an old coleman dome we used to borrow.

these items are

-3-holed plastic thingy on my guylines

-and a 6inch aluminum tube with a bigger diameter than my poles

What are these for and how do they work?

10:22 a.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Can you post some pictures or what type of tent is it. It sounds like the plastic things on the guylines are to get them taught. I personally still use taught line and two half hitch knots because that what we learn back in my day in the scouts and I think it works better. The aluminum tube I am not sure about. Again if you tell people the type of tent i.e. manufacture and model, someone may know.

11:04 a.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

If you put the stake line thru one of the holes close to an end and then thru the second other end then thru the middle and tie a knot so it cant come out it becomes a line tightner for when you want to tighting the line to pull your tent up better.

The large tube is supposed to be to fix a tent pole if it breaks or bends. But I have never used one and am not sure how to use it.

I hope this was helpful?

12:57 p.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

You are correct on both counts Gary. The larger diameter tube is a "pole splint" to be placed around a compromised tent pole most likely at a joint. It can then be secured using duct tape, which is an integral part of a tent repair kit.

4:52 p.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,085 forum posts

Last time a pole got broke or bent was in Alaska 30 years ago by a bear looking for something to eat in my tent in Denali Park. back then tent companies did not put anything like that in the tent sacks.

11:39 p.m. on February 7, 2009 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Thanks to everyone that replied :D as of now i am trying out the tighteners :D

@jmcwatty; yup i still use taut lines and hitches. I'll compare it to this guy line tightener to see which is more convenient. BTW im using the eureka autumn wind. kinda heavy but seems like a palace even for 2 :D

@garypalmer; i think you got it right on the money! thanks!

10:47 p.m. on February 8, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

miks,

If you know how to tie the line hitches well, throw the cheap plastic line tighteners away now. They're likely to break on you in the field anyway, making you tie the hitches after all. Better to do it right from the start! I did.

11:54 p.m. on February 8, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I'm late to the party, but everyone is right-the pole splint is handy-one reason never to get fiberglass poles-once they shatter, they are almost impossible to splint.

F_klock is right-learn to tie knots. There is a great little site that has animated knot tieing videos. http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

It doesn't have a simple double half hitch for some reason, but a trucker's hitch will work as well.

12:15 a.m. on February 9, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

And all this time I thought the pole splint was a camping straw.

9:45 a.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

I had no idea thats what the tube was for.

I always used the splint as a mini marshmallow shooter.

5:36 p.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,183 forum posts

I always carry a pole repair sleeve and store two ink pen cartridges inside it in case my journal pen quits working. Cover both ends with bandaids.

7:46 p.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Hey that's a good idea Tipi! Say, what kind of pen have you had good luck with while hiking, I've had a few leak out and such.

10:52 p.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
308 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

.. and the repair sleeve adventure begins..

2:43 p.m. on February 21, 2009 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

F_klock is right-learn to tie knots. There is a great little site that has animated knot tieing videos. http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Tom D, Thanks so much for this link! I have to admit, knots and I have issues. "is it over and under or under then over" I constantly second guess myself and this animated knot link, well, its perfect.

Thank you for posting!

2:45 p.m. on February 26, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Mike, I free dive for abalone, and the California Dept. Fish and Game regs require divers to have their license, punch card, tags, and a pen with them in the water. One isn't required to fill out the punch card and tags until back on shore, so I'm not sure what the logic behind the law is...

The point is that I have found the only reliable pen in these conditions is a Fisher Space Pen. They claim that it will write under water, upside down, etc... It does! I use an inexpensive model named the wedge. There's a seller on eBay (not me) who has 2 of these pens in blue for $5.99 each with free shipping.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply