Fixing a hole in tongue gusset?

5:59 p.m. on April 14, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

The no-longer waterproof GTX Danner boots I reported on before were waterboarded yesterday! Well, at least I took the laces out and held them in the sink.

On the one that was leaking, there is a small imperfection in the tongue guesset, and sure enough, water POURED through the boot in roughly that area.

Does anyone know how to fix this? The boots are still wearing very well otherwise. I think it might be too big to just wax/seal over it, but I can see all sorts of problems if I tried to sew on a patch or anything like that.

I was thinking more along the lines of super glue and/or duct tape, but I'm sure someone (Bill?) is the expert on this.

8:07 p.m. on April 14, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,567 forum posts

How big a hole we talkin my friend?

If it is a small hole you could try Shoe Goo, sold in a tube available at Wal-mart and such, in the shoe department. Back up the underside with duct tape first.

You can also back the hole up on the underside with duct tape, and make a repair with a hot melt glue gun.

Additionally you can use a very good construction sealant such as Lexel, a clear co-polymer rubber, in a caulking tube and available at most hardware stores, Lexel is far superior to silicone (most silicone sealants loose adhesion sooner or later) and will adhere to just about anything. Another one is a marine sealant by 3M, called 4200, available in white or black, an incredibly strong adhesive polyurethane good for wood, rubber, metal, fiberglass, etc. It is intended for use above and below water. It actually works great on wet surfaces and I have used it on both my boat and on gear repairs as well as at my job here on the East Coast. Warning, it is not cheap at about $12.00 a tube and once opened must be used in a few days.

8:51 p.m. on April 14, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

Not very big. Shoe goo might work... I think I even have some of that lying around from last tennis season.

10:42 p.m. on April 14, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,567 forum posts

Oh yeah it is small! I guess you don't have to worry about taping one side first to do a repair. That's a shame, I know how you feel.

Good luck on the repair, maybe others have some tricks too.

6:47 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,396 forum posts

ShoeGoo should work just fine. Be sure to clean the area thoroughly, and squeeze the fluid Goo through and around the mesh. Look on the back side to see that it fills the hole. Let it cure for the time on the label plus an additional 24 hours (you want it well-cured before subjecting it to more abuse, er use).

Say, that wasn't Perry's dog that bit it after chewing up the water filter, was it?

10:25 p.m. on April 15, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I think I would have some explaining to do if Perry's dog somehow got ahold of my shoes.

Which reminds me, Perry: Anytime you're down in ozark-land, drop me a line and you can watch me fall out of my ill-advised hammock while you comfortably make coffee in your tent vestibule.

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply