About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

gaz c206 vs gaz cv206 cartridge

12:44 p.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Greetings, I have a gaz stove and lantern that use the c206 cartridges. Can I use the cv206 cartridge with that stove and lantern? I am having a hard time finding c206 catridges. I live in eastern PA. I also need mantles and a globe for my Lumogaz c-200 lantern. What type do I need and where can I get them? Thanks! Skip

7:32 p.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

Skip -

The C-206 canisters are a puncture-type canister. The CV-270 (there is no CV-206) has a connector similar in size and design to the industry-standard threaded connector, except without the threads. They are not intechangeable. You can get adapters for the C-206 to fit on stoves with the industry-standard thread (also called a Lindal valve). CampingGaz, a division of Coleman, in turn a division of Jarden, makes the canisters shown here . There were a few other canisters made by Camping Gaz (also known as Bleuet) with the designations C-200 (same size as the C-206, but different mix of butane and propane), C-100 and C-106 (half the size of the C-200/206), and a couple others. The C-100, 106, 200, and 206 were all puncture-type canisters, with copies of the 206 (size, shape, gas mixture, puncture-type) being made in Slovenia and several SE Asian countries. You can find them in a few stores in the US, some of which will ship them via carriers that can handle flammable materials. Redwood Trading Post in Redwood City, CA, is one of these. REI still carries the original C-206 canisters in most stores or at REI.com.

Because of a number of deficiencies, I would suggest you consider getting one of the several backpacking lanterns that take the industry-standard connector cartridges, such as Coleman (the owner of Camping Gaz), Primus, SnowPeak, etc.

8:02 p.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for the info. The cv-206 does exist. Someone just had some for sale on E-bay and you could plainly see the "CV 206" printed on the canister. Anyway, I think it is time for a new lantern. I'm looking at the Brunton Lucy since it comes with a mesh globe rather than glass. I would rather have the reduced light output than the glass globe. I already have a Snow Peak Giga stove and I assume the gas canister for the stove will fit the Lucy lantern. Thanks for the help. Regards, Skip

1:02 p.m. on June 5, 2009 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

The Snow Peak Giga Power lantern has a screen globe you can get as well. Though a little pricier, I love this little lantern!

1:09 p.m. on June 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for the help! Skip

6:16 p.m. on June 5, 2009 (EDT)
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

I found the image you were referring to, plus a bunch more. The CV-206 appears to be a re-labelled C-206, though the several images did not have anything that would give the scale to be sure. Doing a bit of search of the web turns up both labels, with in one case a dealer offering both a C206 and a CV-206, but without anything to indicate whether these are in fact the same canister or anything that would allow a comparison of the sizes.

At one point, Camping Gaz discontinued the puncture canisters, largely because the Scandinavian outlawed them. Then, apparently because of demand and the manufacture and import into Europe of the Slovenian and SE Asian copies of the C200 series of stoves and lanterns, they started making them again (lots of Europeans, particularly French, have the older stoves). A couple years ago, Coleman told me that they would not re-import the canisters, despite many in the US having the stoves and lanterns. A few months later, I started seeing the familiar blue canisters and stoves in REI and other shops, the canisters having the C206 label on them. If the CV206 is the new version, I have not yet seen them in REI or Redwood Trading Post. I do note that Camping Gaz uses the "CV" labelling on the 270 and 470 canisters and lanterns. But if you look at the Camping Gaz website, the 206 canister is labelled C206, with no CV-206 to be seen or found with a fair amount of poking around the website (the search window yields "no matches", for example).

Well, my Primus lantern that goes on a standard Lindal, EN217 threaded coupling works better than either of my Camping Gaz Bleuet lanterns anyway.

7:21 p.m. on June 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for your help once more. Regards, Skip

11:51 p.m. on June 8, 2009 (EDT)
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

The Snow Peak Giga Power lantern has a screen globe you can get as well. Though a little pricier, I love this little lantern!

Primus has a similar lantern. The big advantage is that you don't need any "cloth" mantels - no fragility, no burning in of a piece of silk soaked in some radioactive heavy metal.

6:35 p.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Was there ever a defenite answer to whether C206 and CV206 canisters are interchangeable? I have two single burner stoves and a lantern from when I was a teenager that claim they need C206 canisters. I went to REI and all they had was a CV206 canister which the salesman said he thought it was the same thing. They appear to be the same diameter and both hold 190 grams of fuel but I am not sure if they are the same height. The only C206 canisters I have still have fuel in them and are connected to a stove and lantern. I have written Coleman support off the Camping Gaz website but so far have heard nothing other than the auto reply. By the way both the stove and lantern have been in storage for over 10 years and both turned on and worked beautifully when I unpacked them.

11:37 a.m. on July 13, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I just "scored" some c-206's, cv-206's and a c-200. I have not put them into my 25- yr old Forespar gimballed stove yet but they are physically exactly the same and are labeled with the same contents/weight. I don't want to waste the partial cannister currently installed until I need to. I also found three C-106's. Wilderness Exchange in Berkley, CA found these in their back room. eBay has some cv-206's for sale.

George

3:13 p.m. on July 13, 2009 (EDT)
2,264 reviewer rep
5,188 forum posts

I came across some C206 canisters that are labelled CV206. Apparently this the new labelling. I put them alongside older C200 and C206, plus a Slovenian copy, with all appearing to be identical in configuration. I also put one into a C200 stove (didn't tighten all the way to puncture the canister, though, since the stove I had at hand has the gasket dried out, hence no seal).

The gaskets are pretty hard to come by, although there is a workaround (which I won't describe, since it is not guaranteed - you need to have a bit of skill with a Dremel tool to make it work).

7:20 p.m. on July 18, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Kittery Trading Post, of Kittery Maine sells the c206 canisters. They are currently out of stock, however.

1:31 a.m. on July 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I have a yanes stove that uses these and REI here carries cv 206. I may have used c 206 years earlier. It never worked on cv 206. It could be that the big rubber piece has hardened. Has anyone ever soaked this piece in armour all;this was suggested to me? If so did it work? I did try a canning rubber ring to put more pressure on the cv canister hissed like a snake. I hate to throw this out it was my first little stove.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply