MSR Annual Maintenance Kit

11:11 p.m. on June 29, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey all!

I got one of these kits today at my local outfitters The Backpacker.

The kit costs almost 15.00 and contains O-rings, lube, line & jet wrench, and a large safety pin. Comes in a small red plastic case about 3/4" x 1 1/4" x 3" which is packaged in a much larger cardboard box with an instruction sheet. Once you open the red case you will never get it all back in.

I have had my MSR Whisperlite for 13 years with very little trouble, I've had to lube the pump cup once or twice and check the o-rings occasionally.

I'm curious, does anyone really think you need to buy the Annual Maintenance Kit every year? Seems like a bit of clever marketing to me.

Then again I don't use my stove in extreme conditions.

Thoughts?

11:15 a.m. on June 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Mike, I'm with you; I've had an expedition service kit for the last 7 years and not used any parts yet. It seems like if one weren't careful, the pump o ring for the fuel line might degrade or get damaged eventually, but if you follow directions and don't drag your Whisperlite through the dirt, no problems.

6:19 p.m. on July 4, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

If it ain't broke don't fix it

If you normally clean and inspect your equipment you know what and when it need repairs.

3:02 a.m. on July 24, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Check and replace your O-Rings regularly. Failure to do so could result in you setting your pump on fire if it leaks. Take my word for it, you don't want to see that happen. Other than that, I don't know what's in the kit.

I got some parts for my old XGK from MSR. They don't make a kit for it any more-just for the newer version. They sent me my parts free, which was really nice of them.

9:05 p.m. on August 2, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I have both the GK and the whisperlite.Both have had failed o rings but iam an automotive tech and have found the o rings in my o ring sets,big boxes of diff sizes.Have gotten into the habit of replacing them every several years,2 to 3,and lubing them with silicone lube,not spray,as well as lubing the pump cups.I do not buy the maint kits at $15.00 bucks cause the o rings are under 50 cents!

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply