About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

seam sealing assistance PLZ

5:22 p.m. on July 8, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I just bought a tiny bivy shelter and the seams are not taped nor sealed, I have a bottle of Tent sure from EMS and I went around the entire outside and inside seams with it. I am still skeptical about the waterproofing though. This is quite the tiny tent and one leak can effect the whole interior because of its compact size.

Are there any other precautions I should take regarding extra waterproofing???

6:02 p.m. on July 8, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Sleep in the backyard with the sprinkler on, or just stuff it with towels in lieu of you and you'll know if it's good to go or not Kmarr.

You did not say which shelter you got, is it an actual bivy sack or a tiny solo tent? Does it have a urethane coating or silicone?

If you don't have a tarp, they are very handy for bivying. For most people a bivy is a hardship or emergency shelter. It's hard to live comfortably on a multi day trip in a bivy just to save weight, though it is possible. A tarp expands your capabilities a lot.

11:16 p.m. on July 8, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Trouthunter- its comparable to a tiny solo tent, though it is called a "bivy shelter" I have considered the tarp and bivy situation but I have not fully explored tent camping to its fullest. perhaps in the future I'll reconsider.

I always make it a point to field test all my new sleeping bags, tents, etc. in my backyard a few times at varying temps and conditions, so I will take it out in the rain sometime soon. I haven't downgraded to straight up bivying yet. I am a big fan of inconveniences and finding ways to cut the amount of gear I take, so what I do is gradually take away or simplify my gear. I just went from tent to "bivy shelter" and cut 2lbs!

....and I am not even sure if it has a coating on it at all

12:32 p.m. on July 9, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

... I haven't downgraded to straight up bivying yet....

Hey! Bivying is a high form of rest and recovery. What's with this "downgraded" comment? Real woodsy people bivouac all the time! (along with people who badly misjudged the time and distance).

4:33 p.m. on July 9, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

haha I didn't mean it like that. what I meant was bivying is for the more well seasoned as opposed to tent camping. not too many noobs start out with a bivy over a tent, after all they don't sell bivys at Dicks!

7:05 p.m. on July 9, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Kmarr.....the bivy shelter from Cabellas? The little two hoop tunnel type solo?

10:13 p.m. on July 9, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

actually I just checked, it is from Rothco. Nothing to brag about, but it was nylon, and only 2lbs and i got it on a whim for a mere 28 bucks. I searched for the cabelas solo tent you mentioned and mine is slightly lower to the ground and instead of mesh covering the entire thing, there is just an overhead mesh cut-out and by the foot end of it.

UPDATE!- I just sealed the entire thing inside and out, and the seams twice! hopefully it'll work...like a good tent!

10:18 p.m. on July 9, 2009 (EDT)
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Good for you! Now you have to prove it, and give us a trip report, deal?

My first solo shelter (26 yrs. ago) was a $30.00 GI Jungle hammock made with a canvas bottom that soaked up water like a sponge, guess how I found out. The bug canopy and nylon top worked okay though.

Todays hammocks are much better, my Hennessey hammock is nice and dry.

5:08 p.m. on July 15, 2009 (EDT)
32 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Cohol, whats the final report on the seam seal. Did it work? After this past weekend of lugging a 5 pd tent up Mt Washington I'm considering a cheap bivy.

5:48 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Markbug-

I didn't actually get a chance to use it yet. But with the precautions I took, things should be looking good.

Its not actually a bivy, its just way too small to be considered a tent so they called it a "bivy shelter." I'm not cool enough to bivy! But if you really want to save a TON of weight you should definitely get a bivy. They weigh a pound or somewhere close to it. What do you define as cheap? I ask because I think $21 for a car inspection is expensive! The MSR E bivy is like 75 bucks and weighs 10 oz. That was one I was considering when I was researching the way of the bivy.

8:56 p.m. on July 16, 2009 (EDT)
195 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

I'd go with McNetts sealer, silnylon or otherwise. It's way better than the old K-coat Kenyon stuff. Not familiar with Tent Sure.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply