Dog chewed corner of Mountain Trails 25yr old tent

6:21 p.m. on July 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Out camping. Our dog chewed the corner of friend's 25year old mountain trail tent that he loved. Who should I call to get this fixed? Couldn't find one to buy on ebay, craigslist or the classifieds here. Want to fix it for him.

Red tent w/ poles - WAS in perfect condition!

6:52 p.m. on July 8, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

Maybe your dog was hinting that it is time for your friend to buy a new tent? Now if you were a used car salesman talking to someone trying to get a big trade-in on a new car, you would tell him that it was fully amortized and he had gotten his money's worth.

What kind of damage did your dog cause - extent, holes/tears, shredded, or? If it isn't too bad, you can do like many folks do and get some similar material (ripstop nylon, coated ripstop if it was coated, netting, whatever) and sew a patch, using SeamSeal to tack the edges and fill the needle holes. Depending on where you are, there are people who repair tents (in the SF Bay Area, there is a shop next to the Berkeley REI that does this for all sorts of gear). A sailmaker can also repair tents.

7:25 p.m. on July 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks! It was mostly tears/hole in the corner. I'm not too far from Berkeley (Napa). I rather someone else fix it then me. I think he was emotionally attached to his tent... :(

10:28 p.m. on July 9, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

This same exact thing happened to my old 1978 North Face Tuolumne A-frame tent which I had set up and my dog ate part of the floor off. I decided it was the will of Buddha and tossed it and got an even better tent. Here's a website to check: Rainy Pass Repair.

10:35 p.m. on July 9, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Hi Tipi, good to hear from you.

Same thing happened to me, my dog dug through the tent floor. I was so mad I almost walked out solo. As I was packing up the tent I found a dead mouse under the tent. Weird. I have a different dog now, I picked one that doesn't dig, bark, or run away.

Thanks for the website.

1:13 p.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Hay trouthunter so the tent you use to have is for sale but with a bit of wear and tare. Is that why you were looking for a new tent a week or so ago?

7:54 p.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Hey Mike,

This happened years ago, I tried to sell it to my buddies as having a "pit toilet option".

My current tent is heavy at 8 lbs. and I need a lighter solo tent. I used to let my dog carry half the tent so I had a cool bombproof 2 man tent for 4 lbs. (my load) with a huge vestibule for the dog.

I want to pack the blue Ridge Escarpment soon but my dog is not going.

Good to have you on Trailspace ldcamper! Good luck with the repair.

1:11 p.m. on July 11, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Ha ha a pit toilet, almost indoor plumbing is a tent good one.

11:19 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts
11:22 p.m. on September 19, 2009 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

After 25 years it is time for a new tent,just my thought.Myself the dogs i have had over the years have given far richer and fonder memories than any gear i have ever owned.Currently i have 4 four legged friends and sadly 3 are beyond anymore harder packing or day trips but still mans best friend.ymmv

August 2, 2014
Quick Reply