Dog chewed corner of Mountain Trails 25yr old tent

6:21 p.m. on July 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Out camping. Our dog chewed the corner of friend's 25year old mountain trail tent that he loved. Who should I call to get this fixed? Couldn't find one to buy on ebay, craigslist or the classifieds here. Want to fix it for him.

Red tent w/ poles - WAS in perfect condition!

6:52 p.m. on July 8, 2009 (EDT)
3,513 reviewer rep
5,683 forum posts

Maybe your dog was hinting that it is time for your friend to buy a new tent? Now if you were a used car salesman talking to someone trying to get a big trade-in on a new car, you would tell him that it was fully amortized and he had gotten his money's worth.

What kind of damage did your dog cause - extent, holes/tears, shredded, or? If it isn't too bad, you can do like many folks do and get some similar material (ripstop nylon, coated ripstop if it was coated, netting, whatever) and sew a patch, using SeamSeal to tack the edges and fill the needle holes. Depending on where you are, there are people who repair tents (in the SF Bay Area, there is a shop next to the Berkeley REI that does this for all sorts of gear). A sailmaker can also repair tents.

7:25 p.m. on July 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks! It was mostly tears/hole in the corner. I'm not too far from Berkeley (Napa). I rather someone else fix it then me. I think he was emotionally attached to his tent... :(

10:28 p.m. on July 9, 2009 (EDT)
240 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

This same exact thing happened to my old 1978 North Face Tuolumne A-frame tent which I had set up and my dog ate part of the floor off. I decided it was the will of Buddha and tossed it and got an even better tent. Here's a website to check: Rainy Pass Repair.

10:35 p.m. on July 9, 2009 (EDT)
1,543 reviewer rep
3,932 forum posts

Hi Tipi, good to hear from you.

Same thing happened to me, my dog dug through the tent floor. I was so mad I almost walked out solo. As I was packing up the tent I found a dead mouse under the tent. Weird. I have a different dog now, I picked one that doesn't dig, bark, or run away.

Thanks for the website.

1:13 p.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
215 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Hay trouthunter so the tent you use to have is for sale but with a bit of wear and tare. Is that why you were looking for a new tent a week or so ago?

7:54 p.m. on July 10, 2009 (EDT)
1,543 reviewer rep
3,932 forum posts

Hey Mike,

This happened years ago, I tried to sell it to my buddies as having a "pit toilet option".

My current tent is heavy at 8 lbs. and I need a lighter solo tent. I used to let my dog carry half the tent so I had a cool bombproof 2 man tent for 4 lbs. (my load) with a huge vestibule for the dog.

I want to pack the blue Ridge Escarpment soon but my dog is not going.

Good to have you on Trailspace ldcamper! Good luck with the repair.

1:11 p.m. on July 11, 2009 (EDT)
215 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Ha ha a pit toilet, almost indoor plumbing is a tent good one.

11:19 p.m. on July 14, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts
11:22 p.m. on September 19, 2009 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

After 25 years it is time for a new tent,just my thought.Myself the dogs i have had over the years have given far richer and fonder memories than any gear i have ever owned.Currently i have 4 four legged friends and sadly 3 are beyond anymore harder packing or day trips but still mans best friend.ymmv

November 25, 2015
Quick Reply