placing fly vents?

7:59 a.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I was browsing around for a solo tent and the Eureka spitfire caught my eye. I was thinking of getting one and venting the fly like the european version found here http://shop.eurekaeurope.com/product/part_number=09E100-SF-SOLO/1329.0.7559.36123.0.0.0 .

Yes, the spitfire in Europe has 2 fly vents!

I will not order the european version simply because the base price is more expensive plus the shipping, 119euro vs 119USD but having a vented fly like that would be sweet to avoid additional condensation.

has anyone attempted to sew in vents in the fly?

11:51 a.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I have a Eureka Spitfire and I will tell you that the what you are talking about is un-needed. The tent breaths just fine on its own with the larger one vent it has.

7:01 p.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I like to modify gear, but with the 2 vents both facing primarily forward, the Euro Spitfire may not have much additional air exchange. The sought after end result, reduced condensation, may be less than what you are hoping for.

The single vent in the USA model appears to be in a slightly higher location and it may vent off more moist air from near the peak of the tent than the Euro version.

And as Mike068 mentions, his USA model works pretty well as is.

If you had a tent fly with no vent at all, it might be more worthwhile to modify that type of design.

Good idea in general, but I would apply it elsewhere.

12:43 a.m. on August 21, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I guessed i skipped the features list, the vent is hardly noticable in the pics because its at the back. I guess no mods :D

Thanks for the input Mike068 and TreeGuy!

1:55 a.m. on August 21, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

No problem that's what the forum is for, I hope you like the spitfire.

10:14 a.m. on August 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I've got the Spitfire Solo that I purchased up here in Canada and its got the two vents at the top as pictured in the link.

Although my rain fly is all blue and does not contain brown on the fly at all.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply