Patching mesh on a tent

4:36 p.m. on September 8, 2009 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Got a tear this past weekend in the "no-see-um" mesh door of my tent - no more than two centimeters, but in an L shape. Probably had a zipper catch in it, but not sure. All I know is when I camp with the kids things have a tendency to break, rip or go missing - and there's no explanation to be had.

Anyways, I wanted to solicit some opinions on the best way to patch a hole in a mesh door. Sew it? Maybe sew a patch of mesh over it? I just know some bees or ants are going to zero in on that hole...

6:50 p.m. on September 8, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

You can buy a repair kit for tents and such things or you can go the cheap way out two pieces of duck-tape of equal size one on the inside and one on the outside then put it between some books or something like that for a couple of hours just for good measure.

9:12 p.m. on September 17, 2009 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,180 forum posts

I'd just get a ripstop patch and use some McNett's seam sealer to glue it on. Won't look great but it should hold.

8:59 a.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I carry needle and thread, and glue in my first aid kit. Along with a little screening. In the field I do a quick patch job, making sure that I can undo it when I get home. At home I make it look like nothing ever happened. :)

12:54 p.m. on October 1, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,255 forum posts

Since it is the mesh, which is there to provide ventilation, you want to preserve the airflow. Two ways to do this, depending on whether it is a linear tear or a hole -

1. if it is a linear tear or has linear edges (as opposed to a hole where the mesh is missing), you can just use dental floss (the universal repair thread of backpackers, backcountry skiers, and climbers - Glide being the recommended brand because of the teflon coating) to thread through the holes on each side of the tear line to close up the tear (like lacing your shoes). Go a couple of holes back from the edge of the tear, but try to minimize the "pucker".

2. If it is a hole (from the kids, er, I mean, the mysterious "Not Me"getting a candle too close to the mesh or poking something through the mesh), get a section of mesh that is an inch or so larger than the hole and stitch it in place as in 1. If you know how to do "french weaving", you can also do that to hold the mesh section in place.

10:27 p.m. on October 2, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

If you plug up the hole...how will the mosquitoes get out?

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply