OLD FILTER USE

4:40 a.m. on September 17, 2009 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Hey all,
I have an old PUR water filter, at least eight years old, which looks like the old Guide series. I cannot get the replacement filters for it anymore, and was wondering if it would be safe to use? It did not get that much use, so I know the filter portion itself cannot be that bad, BUT….it has set for a few years. I had planned on going for an overnight this week and wanted to use it. What do you think…would it be safe? Is there a way to sanitize it? (I have a new filter on order, but it will not be here in time.)

2:32 p.m. on September 17, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

PUR sold their filter line to Katadyn several years ago. The names of the lines stayed the same, so check your local EMS, REI, etc to see if the Katadyn replacement will fit. Otherwise, a thorough brushing and rinsing in tap water should be sufficient if it was treated well when you were using it, at least for filtering out the larger critters.

8:40 p.m. on September 17, 2009 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Thanks bill,

Yeah I tried REI but they don't have them anymore. The ones that look like mine were called the guide series, but my actual filter is alot smaller. I will do as you say, and flush it out. Maybe I will use a weak mix of bleach and water, so the bugs.

12:31 a.m. on September 18, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

I have a PUR Guide filter that I absolutly love. It pumps a large volume of water quickly and is easy to use. I was extremely disappointed when Katadyn quit making it. They still make replacement cartridges for it though.

REI has them here http://www.rei.com/product/695231

If this does not fit your filter then it is not a Guide.

3:45 a.m. on September 26, 2009 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Darn anyway...I thought they did not make one anymore. Oh well, it leaks and besides the filter is over 40 bucks, and since mine had a prefilter it would be even more. I ended up buying a new filter, the MSR MiniWorks, and got a great deal. Thanks for all your help.

Snakey

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply