How to silence an XGK?

10:57 a.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Here's a good chalenge for the gear makers: does anybody know of a way to make an XGK less noisy? I have read stories about putting a scew in the middle of the diffuser plate, or maybe a special cap might do the trick? I will do some tests here, any advice is welcomed!

3:27 p.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Never worried about it myself but if you come up with an "easy" mod let us know.

4:27 p.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Short of hitting it with a hammer you're likely out of luck.

4:56 p.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
69 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

I use it's cousin the Dragonfly which is probably equally loud (similar Jet/Diffuser design). You can wear earplugs, but I don't know of a way to silence the stove itself. I'm happy enough with the performance to live with the noise. I'll check back to see if you get any useful suggestions.

9:54 p.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,362 forum posts

The plate-diffuser design has been known for years as a "roarer" burner. The multihole family of burners are known as "silent" burners (although they aren't all that quiet, either). Unfortunately the noise is a result of the design.

Roarer burners have the big advantage over silent burners (whether a dome with holes punched all around the sides, a screen, or the "waffle plate" type) that if you spill the soup or get them wet, they are trivial to clean and restart. Spill the soup or tea water on the silent burners or dump one in the snow, and you get water inside the burner assembly, and it's really difficult to get out in reasonable time. If you get water in there when it is -40 deg, and don't get it out right away, it will freeze, and the ice is really really difficult to get melted and out of the burner. (been there, done that, overprimed with gallons of fuel, and eventually it dried out).

10:40 p.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I know a quick way to silence an XGK--turn it off. Works every time.

11:45 a.m. on November 10, 2009 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I know a quick way to silence an XGK--turn it off. Works every time.

Nice! I just can't wait to turn it off and it really is unpleasant in the morning.

Bill, thanks for the insight on the silent burners. Maybe a removable cover with holes might do the trick,if it gets wet you can just dry it over the roarer. I saw something similar on the Spiritburner website. I'll try to make one and let you know how it turned out.

The quest for the perfect stove is not over yet!!

5:06 p.m. on November 10, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Ear plugs may be a workable solution Franc, they would also help silence any negative comments from your buddies about your cooking.

But I trust you are a fine cook!

BTW, if you find the proverbial perfect stove, let us know my friend.

What has been your experience with alcohol stoves in your environment Franc? Winter I mean.

Thanks.

5:27 p.m. on November 10, 2009 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Alcohol stoves work well in the winter if you carry a small bottle of fuel on you. They have to be no bigger than a pepsi can to pressurize properly though. They don't put out a lot of heat so I sometimes carry one as a spare, the extra fuel can always be used to prime the XGK. The lowest temp i've tried one is -30C and it worked.

Maybe if there was a small, ultralight back-up stove with no moving part that could use naphta...another potential project! (insert evil laugh here)

BTW my cooking does suck big time, ask my wife!

8:32 p.m. on November 10, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

You mean carry the fuel on you to keep it warm?

11:46 a.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

yep. I use a small camp soap bottle around 8oz. It as a very neat sprout on it and has never leaked in over 6 years of use. The alcool doesn't need to be very warm so you can warm it in your jacket fast.

It'll be hard to fit a cap on the XGK because of the pre-heating tube going across the burner but i'll try anyway. I'm also working on an insulated fully enclosed windscreen, i'll let you know how it turned out.

12:02 a.m. on February 6, 2010 (EST)
493 reviewer rep
277 forum posts
Re: How to silence an XGK?(WHAT?? HUH??)

WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU, MY STOVE IS ON!

Many "roarer" stoves make that noise. My first stove, a SVEA 123, did it and so does my MSR Dragonfly, the best damn winter stove in the world. It's the sound of comfort and impending food and hot drinks. :)

Eric

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply