About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

fuel tank adapters

2:16 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will allow you to hook say a Century Mighty Light lantern ,”which has the same female thread that hooks to a larger 16.04 oz Colman canister,” to a Lindal Thread type like on a smaller canister that MSR, Primus.

I know they have to be out there and this little mini would be perfect if I could use a smaller canister with it.

6:55 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

Simple answer is "no." The Century Mighty Light is a propane lantern. The MSR, Primus, and other canisters with the industry standard thread contain primarily butane or isobutane, sometimes with a small amount of propane mixed in. Pure propane behaves differently, so you should not burn fuel in an appliance designed for a fuel so different. The Coleman canister referred to is a propane-containing canister, as can readily be seen by looking at one in the store.

There are, however, small lanterns by Primus and others that are made to burn the butane mixes safely. They are smaller and lighter than the Century model you are asking about.

The Lindal valve is a particular design of valve that comes in a wide range of sizes, some with a threaded connector or various sizes, some with non-threaded connectors, and some not intended to be connected to something else, depending on the application, including spray cans as well as the common butane fuel canister. The connector for fuel bottles for propane-burning appliances is different from the connector for backpacking stoves and lanterns, intentionally so that you cannot connect the wrong type of fuel source to the appliance.

10:41 p.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I have actually compared a primus treklight to my Century mighty light, the parts are identicle, the globe fits on mine, "actually ordered one for mine sense it is cracked", the only difference is the connector on the base and of coarse the price tag. You can actually get a adapter to allow you to hook the smaller connector Primus Easylight up to a bulk canister, but not vise versa.

The fuel mixtures in the smaller canisters are fine in a propane lantern, well not to sure about the isobutane, but you would have to take a look at the burn tempature to be safe.

3:06 p.m. on November 16, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

My daughter and I use a Peak 1 mini lantern. Great little light along with the Peak 1 mini stove. These take the little canisters pack small work great. There is someone out of I believe Kansas selling them on e-bay less the chain for very reasonable prices.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply