Nikwax softshell proof

6:45 p.m. on December 18, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

I was given a bottle of this Nikwax softshell proof ,wash-in waterproofing for soft-shell clothing. has anybody used this stuff before and how do I use it properly?

8:26 p.m. on December 18, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,256 forum posts

Good stuff! Just follow the directions printed on the bottle. I use several of NikWax's products to keep gear clean (well, as clean as one can when spending a significant part of the year in the wilderness). Also McNett's similar products. Just remember that softshells are never truly waterproof, though they are pretty good in a light sprinkle (if you keep the DWR refreshed with something like the Softshell Proof you show in the photo).

5:38 p.m. on December 19, 2009 (EST)
65 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I didn't try this one yet but as with any other NikWax proofer you better clean it first with their tech wash. There is little point proofing the jacket if it's not clean.

12:07 p.m. on January 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello all! Hope everyone enjoying their winter season so far!

I have a North Face Summit Series Gore-tex XCR jacket and TNF HyVent pants--BOTH of which i Love!

I am curious as to how to properly maintain them I love my gore-tex jacket (and HyVent pants) and it's superior breathe-ability and want to know more on how to maintain it/them.

I bought some NikWax from REI last year and used it but I wonder if that can work for my HyVent pants when it says "recommended for gore-tex"? I may sound like a Newb, but i just want some proper maintenence dvice without all the outdoor flack from someone at REI or EMS! thanks!

2:25 p.m. on January 1, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

The nikwax goretex stuff is good. Just clean it first and follow the directions. Some off my goretex NEVER needs to be reproofed, some needs it every few years. You can hose down a garment as tell whether it needs it or not. The DWR is critical to keeping goretex breathing well.

Jim S

2:54 p.m. on January 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks Jim,

I knew it wasnt rocket science!

PH

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply