How about some advise on repairing Capilene?

11:21 a.m. on January 10, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey guys,

Yesterday I ripped a small hole in my Capilene top, about a 1/4 inch.

Since this is a base layer I'm not sure if I want to try a repair with seam sealer or shoe goo, I suspect I may not like the feel of it, IF it was noticeable, not sure I would notice though. I could just hit the hole with a lighter, but I'm pretty sure that would be rough feeling.

Capilene is too expensive to deep six, basically I just wish to stop the hole from getting worse, I'm not worried about looks.

Ideas?

Thanks.

2:04 p.m. on January 10, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

This is what it looks like.

Round hole three inches left of the zipper.

4:30 p.m. on January 10, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

You could cut a small patch of material, any knit fabric will work since the hole is so small, and hand or machine sew the patch onto the shirt. Otherwise there is always duct tape.

2:20 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Give the tear-aid I mentioned before a try, I have used it for applications like this and it does the trick fairly well.

6:13 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Give the tear-aid I mentioned before a try, I have used it for applications like this and it does the trick fairly well.

Rick....that's a strong possibility! I thought about that after posting on the Tear-Aid thread.

6:29 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I would think it would hold up in the wash cycle n/p but would question the dryer(heat levels)... then again I air dry all of my gear sooooo it may work. Not familiar w/capilene.

Thanks for the heads up on the FSNs. I have 2 pair of Asolos(500s/520s) and the fit is narrow but works for me.

I may even go after a pair of Merrel Outbound Gores w/synthetic uppers(not the red lol.) Prices are comparable. So many decisions.

6:36 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

A tiny hole like that? Just stitch it closed. In the field, just use that dental floss. Geez, you'd think you wanted to make a fashion statement. ONly thing you need to do is stop it from becoming a bigger hole.

6:38 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

lol...

7:52 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

HaHa....I KNEW that was coming!

Next will be Dewey or Jim S telling me their Capilene is full of holes and if I was a real backpacker I wouldn't care!

You older, wiser guys are supposed to know the tricks, seems getting it out of ya is like pulling teeth sometimes. Ha!

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply