Sleeping back storage sacks - moths

3:29 p.m. on February 6, 2010 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
486 forum posts

I have down jackets and sleeping bags. I store them in the provided - or more recently, made - bags/sacks for storage. I noticed that when transferring from the older storage sacks to the new, that there was evidence of moths in the bags. Can't tell if they have made it into the down however.
I was wondering if permathin treatment of the storage sacks would do any harm to the down/synthetic stuff inside.
AND if it would be a deterrent to the critters.
Anybody try this?

4:10 p.m. on February 13, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I've not tried it, but I doubt permethrin would be harmful to the bag or the storage sack. It's widely used on agricultural crops. Having said that, if your bag is nylon-shelled, as virtually all are, the moths or their larvae aren't gonna be interested in that. They could've been munching on the storage bag, if that's cotton, or they might've just found their way in and died. Unless there are actual holes (probably 2-3 mm, maybe a bit larger), I'd not worry about the sleeping bag's stuffings.

Because permethrin is a broad-spectrum pesticide, and there are many organisms that are quite sensitive to it, I'd not encourage its use without good cause. In appropriately small amounts, humans and most mammals can adequately degrade the chemical via enzymatic pathways. Many fish, though, cannot. Nor can many amphibians. Soil microorganisms will degrade it over time at variable rates, but not without it being present for some time. It is largely indiscriminate in its effects on insects. And, not surprisingly, some target insects have been seen to develop significant resistance to its toxic effects. (I don't know if clothes moths are in this category.)

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply