Coleman Feather 442 questions

11:14 a.m. on February 13, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey trailspace folks,

I've had a Coleman Feather 442 for about a year now, and on my last outing, I had recently filled up the tank, and two minutes later, when it was burning, the flame jumped down below the stove surface, to the tank. I had definitely spilled some fuel when I filled it up, so it might have just been the extra fuel burning on the outside of the tank. "One of my buddies" panicked and tossed some water onto the stove to put it out.

Now, it's been three weeks. The stove hasn't been used since. Is there any reason to think that the flame I saw was from a leak in the fuel line? Did the water damage the stove? What would be the best way to test it before heading out (tomorrow)? Thanks for any input. -Scott

12:18 p.m. on February 13, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

Hi Scott,

Based on your description, and the fact that you're sure you spilled some fuel on the stove during filling, that spilled fuel is most likely the culprit. I do not think throwing water on the stove would have harmed it, but biggest thing is to make sure you have no leaks, and that the stove holds pressure.

To check that you have no leaks, you need to fuel up the stove, if the fuel you have in the stove now is old, replace it with fresh fuel. Now you want to make sure the valve is closed, then pump up / pressurize the stove. After pumping up the stove, you shouldn't hear air hissing, or see any fuel leaking anywhere. If you do, stop, do not light the stove until you have fixed the problem which is usually a bad seal or O-ring.

Once you have determined you have no leaks slowly open up the valve, and follow Coleman's instructions on lighting the stove. Do this in a safe place, and don't hold you head above the stove.

Welcome to Trailspace.

1:41 p.m. on February 13, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey trouthunter, thanks for the help. I forgot to mention that when I emptied the fuel from the stove, it had turned pink from clear. Any ideas?

5:59 a.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

BUY A NEW ONE !!!!! Lol..... J/K... what trout said will do ya well.... water won't do it bad. Air it out if ya have too but I personally don't think ya will have too....then again....(God I leave so many questions unanswered...)....or do I? Thats the real question. Truthfully you will be fine. Water won't do squat to hinder the operation of the unit. If ya find it failing let it sit in the sun for a few days. All will be well.........

3:55 p.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

Hey Scott,

I tried to find this earlier, after a little searching I found a link to the Coleman 442 Feather / 442 Dual Fuel owners manual.

It is a PDF format, you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent to open it.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/pdf/442.pdf

You will notice that part of it is upside down, in Adobe, by right clicking the mouse you get several options, one is rotate, that will let you rotate the file so you can read it.

A list of 60 downloadable manuals for Coleman Stoves, including backpacking models, can be found here:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/manuals/manuals_resp.asp?category_id=1100

4:03 p.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

I can't tell you for sure why your fuel was pink, are you in the U.S. or elsewhere? Are you sure it was clear when you poured it? How old is it?

Maybe one of the other guys here knows something about fuel I don't.

11:48 p.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Well, it IS Valentine's Day.....

9:13 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,561 forum posts

Excellent point Perry!

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply