Replacement fuel tube for an MSR stove pump?

8:20 p.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I recently purchased an MSR Whisperlite for almost nothing at a garage sale. But I noticed that one of the two plastic tubes on the pump (the tube is about the size and shape of the plastic tube on a throw away ballpoint pen) is missing. I know I could spend $25 for a repair kit and get one of these. But that seems like an awful lot of money for a 3 inch plastic tube! I believe that I could buy a short length of tube (or two or three in case I lose another) for 50 cents at my hardware store if I only knew type of tube to ask for. Of course the plastic must be resistant to dissolving in fuel. And the outer diameter must be precisely correct; the inner diameter is probably less important but it should be close. Finally, this tube should be fairly stiff, though a bit flexible too. Any idea how to replace this tube? Just the name of the right type of plastic would be a great help - I might be able to buy several different small diameter tubes till I found one that fits at a plastic supply shop. By the way, I'd be willing to lay out a few bucks for this tube to a sports equipment company, but I really can't see spending $25 for the whole kit. Any ideas? Thanks!

8:57 p.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,577 forum posts

Hey Michael,

I believe the newer pumps have only one tube, but if you have an older one like mine, then you do have one missing.

I can not tell you off hand what king of plastic the tubes are made of, I have my suspicions, but I'm not sure.

Have you considered just replacing the whole fuel pump?

You can get the new & improved pump for 30.00 - 35.00, and you would have a brand new pump. It seems to me that would be easier and cheaper than driving around looking for a replacement tube at hardware stores, although I can appreciate your desire to.

I'm glad you scored a good stove at a great price, I hope you get it going!

9:27 p.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I have an old MSR GK pump and stove and some time ago i ended up having one of the tubes disappear.I just went to a few hardware stores untill i found some tubing that fit and then poured some white gas in a jar with a bot of the tubing,screwed on the lid and let it sit for several weeks.The tubing was fine and this replacement has been on the pump for about 20 years.Much cheaper than a new pump and just as good.I suggest replaceing the o-rings,auto store is cheaper than MSR, and oiling up the pump cup.All very cheap and easy to do with out spending $30 or more dollars.

9:29 p.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Forgot to add one thing.It is much more fun to find a "good" deal if you can get it opperational without spending a lot of money,otherwise why not just go buy a new one.

8:31 a.m. on February 16, 2010 (EST)
18 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Wow, thanks for the input! I'm new to this site & I'm amazed at how quickly I'm getting replies - and good ones at that. Trouthunter, you're absolutely right that I could buy a new pump cheaply enough and then have the old one for parts. However, Skimanjohn's got my number. I actually enjoy the challenge of getting this thing going for 30 cents... 20 cents would be even more fun. Great idea, Skimanjohn, about just trying it out for a few months in a jar. A simple, reasonably reliable test that will keep me entertained for weeks - just as long as I don't get it mixed up with my jar of home made vanilla!! Mike Schmidt

12:32 p.m. on February 16, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,577 forum posts

I agree, good idea with testing the new tubing. Nothing at all wrong with making it a 3.00 fix if you can. The important thing is to get out there and have fun.

Skinmanjohn, is your MSR GK a predecessor to the MSR EGK?

1:43 p.m. on February 16, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,622 reviewer rep
5,399 forum posts

trout -

The GK preceded the XGK, preceded the XGK-II, preceded the XGK Expedition. There was also a plain "G". G = white gas jet, K = kerosene jet, X was for the early "expedition" versions that MSR actually said could burn other fuels besides white gas and kerosene. In my first XGK, I burned white gas (Coleman fuel, naptha actually), autogas (leaded and unleaded - leaded really clogs things fast), avgas (80, 100LL, 100), kerosene, car diesel, JP-4 (didn't try later jet fuels, though), and some 3rd world stuff that supposedly worked in car engines - we took to filtering it through T-shirts, though, because it had so much gunk in it. When after 20 years, I couldn't find the repair kit, I contacted MSR, who told me to send it to them for an overhaul. They immediately sent me a brand new (at that time) XGK-II, which I still use and abuse.

1:55 p.m. on February 16, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,577 forum posts

Thanks Bill,

I thought there was an EGK for some reason, good to get the proper lineage.

I used my buddies MSR XGK several times on a backpacking trip in 2006, I was impressed with it, thanks for the info.

Filtering the fuel with T-shirts isn't something I've had to do before, I'm sure there's more to traveling abroad than one realizes.

7:51 p.m. on February 16, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Michael, If the new pumps use the same tubing as the old ones, it is 1/8" O.D. I checked my pump and the diameter is marked on the tubing. I'm thinking that it's probably nylon tubing. Good luck.

6:38 p.m. on February 17, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I agree, good idea with testing the new tubing. Nothing at all wrong with making it a 3.00 fix if you can. The important thing is to get out there and have fun.

Skinmanjohn, is your MSR GK a predecessor to the MSR EGK?

OOPS!Bill has already answered your question so yes.I will say it is as noisey as ever but shure melts snow well.I also have one of the early whisperlites and use its pump at times because the GK tube fits it as well.Man iam starting to feel old with all this historic gear,but it still works!

December 29, 2014
Quick Reply