Improve loft in a 15+ Y.O. TNF Nuptse Jacket?

7:30 a.m. on February 17, 2010 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

...or any down jacket for that matter...This old favorite has gotten terribly compressed due to a poor packing job when we moved. I'd like to know how to properly redistribute the fill and improve the loft of my favorite "Michelin Man" jacket without damaging it.

10:45 a.m. on February 17, 2010 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I similarly killed a WM sleeping bag. If you find a way to revive it let me know! I tried washing/drying/thumbling....nothing worked.

6:40 p.m. on February 17, 2010 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

I would still try the wash and tumbling in a dryer with a few tennis balls.Worse cass you may have to replace it but it is worth a try.Please let us know of the out come.

9:50 a.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

I tried the tennis balls on my old down military bag, it was better (more lofty) than before i thew it in the dryer.

11:55 a.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

f_klock,

Using one of the purpose-formulated "down wash" products from NikWax or McNett to wash in a drum-type "industrial" washer, then tumble dry at low heat with the afore-mentioned clean tennis balls will go a long way toward restoring loft (definitely not an impeller-type like most home washers - this will beat the parka or sleeping bag to pieces). Your neighborhood laundromat may have the proper kind of washer. Depending on how long the jacket was kept stuffed (and how tightly and how "poor" the packing job was), you might lose some of the loft. My Bauer Karakoram expedition bag was stored stuffed during many years of undergrad and grad school, but restored most of the loft when I learned how to properly wash down gear and started storing it loose.

10:21 p.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Bill,

Coincidentally, we just took delivery of an LG front load washer and dryer. They won't be installed or ready to use for a couple of months yet, but do you think it would be safe to wash the jacket in this type of machine?

10:55 a.m. on February 19, 2010 (EST)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I've washed my down sleeping bag and jacket in similar washers (GE) in the past and they work very well. I put the setting on "delicate" or "hand washable" for the washing. Keep in mind they use a lot less soap than regular machines (1/3 maybe) and an extra rinse doesn't hurt. I also closed all zippers and slacked everything prior to the wash.

It did wonders on my down jacket and restored a lot of loft (and it smells good too). The first time i washed my sleeping bag it was too lofty to go back in it's compression sack, but it never fully recovered from the bad storage last time.

It's also a good idea to run your hand inside the washer and drier everywhere to make sure there's nothing sharp sticking out, specially if it's new. A metal burr could have disastrous consequences on thin nylon fabric.

Hope this helped

9:56 p.m. on February 22, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Send it to Rainy Pass and let them launder it.

5:45 p.m. on February 24, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

The LG and other front-loaders are generally ok for sleeping bags and other filled gear. As Franc says, "delicate" setting is best. I generally find the recommended amount of "down wash" from NikWax and McNett is just right for those washers (that's the washer they strongly recommend anyway).

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply