About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Tent mishap

1:03 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Airing out the tents for the up coming season, I ,well, didnt stake down the inner tent. So when I took down the rainfly the inner tent went flying. Dragging across the road. The pole sleeves ripped. Not a big thing as its not the outer rainfly. But I was wondering if there is a good fix tape on the market. Any suggestions?

1:29 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Since its the sleeve that was damaged, and not the tent body, I'd be inclined to see if someone could machine sew a reinforcement over the original sleeve.

3:51 p.m. on March 18, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I was thinking that too. But to just sew on a sleeve over the ripped one could catch the pole and further rip the sleeve. Just thinking on a way to "bond" the sleeve so it wouldnt catch the pole.

5:36 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Mike,

Sorry to hear about the damage. I hope you always stake the tent from now on. I'm not innocent, I was seam sealing my Bibler Eldorado in the front yard. My doorbell rings and my neighboor is standing there holding it and said he saw it blowing down the street at the end of the block.

What ever you do, do not stick "tape" to your tent or you will get adhesive permanently stuck to it. One reason I NEVER carry duct tape.

Jim S

8:57 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

No tape? You meen there is no easy fix? I do have an old tent with sleeves that would fit, but that is a big repair job.

5:26 a.m. on March 20, 2010 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I recommend this stuff to everyone and those that have tried it have had great success. Not sure what the tear looks like but I am sure there is a way it can be done. On my way to go kayak camping, just figured I would check the site out before I got out the door. Heres the link to the product, have a good one.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0028443.shtml

Oh...I agree with Jim S, tape has its purposes(fixing a tent isn't one of them,maybe poles in a pinch), no residue problems w/this stuff. Its durable, water proof, flexible, it stretches, and its clear. Check it out. Hope it helps. Later.

5:50 a.m. on March 20, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Thanks Rick, I'll give it a go. Have a save trip.

8:39 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I cut some pole sleeves off an old tent and sliped them inside the ripped sleeves. Then sewed them down by the tent body. This seams to be the best fix.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply