Newbie Cleaning Vintage daypack Q

9:16 a.m. on May 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hi

I recently cleaned an old Kelty Day pack using diluted Bicarbonate of Soda. The results results were amazing, but the leather tabs and leather Yoke and leather strap tops seem to be a little on the dry side I was considering using a small amount of mink oil to sofen them up?

I have another vintage daypack where the waterproof coating on the inside is becoming sticky is there anyway of replacing it? Has anyone tried to clean one like this and been successful?

Thanks in advance

9:52 a.m. on May 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Sure, I have never used mink oil but bet it would help restore the leather.

I prefer Neatsfoot oil but that is just me. You can use oils as well as wax to make things really pretty and that is what I use on the leather I have.

Not sure what to say on the waterproof coating.

10:15 a.m. on May 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Many thanks ill give it a go when I get home from work today

11:47 a.m. on May 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Once you let that oil absorb and dry, after several coats, I might add.

Then go to the grocery store and get a can of Johnson Paste Wax and follow instructions.

You will end up with some pretty leather and good to go for years.... As long as you take care of it.

12:40 p.m. on May 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thank you for the advice noodlehead.

12:43 a.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Welcome ant-one,

I have two nice older pack that also have a deteriorating waterproof coating on the inside of the fabric, I would love to restore the coating. I am fairly sure it is a urethane coating. I had actually put that project on the back burner some time ago.

I am willing to bet that the backpack material is coated before it is cut and sewed together, to try to re-coat the pack now will be quite a chore.

I know some people are making their own water proofer by mixing silicone and mineral spirits, with good results. I don't know what else is out there.

However, I will see what I can dig up in the way of info, technique, and a suitable coating.

No promises, and it might take a few days, but check back. I can only pass along info, so as I said no promises on things I have not done myself yet, but if I find something I'll post a link so you can check it out for yourself.

I'm willing to bet most people will recommend you just use a good pack cover, they may be right. I personally enjoy restoring things.

9:04 a.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Many thanks for the welcome Trouthunter, any info would be great.

I actually gently washed the pack that has the stickyness in bicarbonate of soda a few times last night then in Woolite and the tacky hand feel had actually gone to my suprise so it might have been a buildup of some kind of waterproof spray treatment. I would still be interested to know about the home re-waterproofing methods you spoke of though.

9:45 a.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,136 forum posts

I have found that the product called Mapcoat will do pretty well on the inside of nylon packs. Just brush it on. First use some seam sealer on the inside of the stitching areas and along the inside edge of the zippers. Then put the Mapcoat on it. Let it dry and brush another coat on. If you brush it on the first coat in one direction, then apply the second coat in the other it will cover all the tiny holes. It will make the nylon stiff but will protect it for a long time and will soften up with normal use.

10:36 p.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Thanks Gary!

Do you know what map coat is made of?

11:49 p.m. on May 24, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Mink oil will soften leather elements, but sometimes also wakens it too. If you are attaching more than two or three pounds of weight to a mink oil treated lashing point, it may fail under stress. In stead try using saddle soap. It has a softener, and was designed to clean tack and other leather equipment normally subjected to abuse.

Ed

10:02 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,136 forum posts

No idea trouthunter, I don't currently have a bottle of it. Maybe that Aquaseal you mentioned in the mapsealing post would work. The name Mapcoat may not be what the product I used is called it was just what I thought of. I tried looking it up and could'nt find it.

I did it on an old daypack back in the late 70s.

8:07 a.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks for the tip's GaryPalmer and whomeworry

11:13 a.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I did find this, it is intended for resealing Silnylon (silicone impregnated nylon fabric ) but may work on backpack material.

I do not know if it would work over the top of a polyurethane coating, especially one that was separating.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

I would like to apply this coating to the outside of an old pack just to see how durable it is. All backpacks I've seen are coated on the inside, which protects the coating from abrasion I guess. Seems to me there could be just as much abrasion inside the pack with your stuff moving around as you hike.

10:55 a.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,136 forum posts

Yes thats true Trouthunter, the outside seems like it would have less abrasion, except on the bottom where it gets sat on the ground. I usually just use a large trash bag as a pack liner during wet or rainy hiking seasons. It is much easier than recoating a worn pack.

6:14 p.m. on June 3, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Yes thats true Trouthunter, the outside seems like it would have less abrasion, except on the bottom where it gets sat on the ground. I usually just use a large trash bag as a pack liner during wet or rainy hiking seasons. It is much easier than recoating a worn pack.

Yes Gary, I also use a heavy plastic bag for a liner. I'm just real bad about trying to restore things, kinda a hobby of mine. Furniture, tools, computers, etc. I guess it's a challenge to me, my wife often asks: You're gonna do what, can't you just buy a new one?

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply