coleman 426d

11:18 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I just got a used/old 3 burner white gas Coleman 426d. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. I know I can get this thing to work. Istart it and the flame does not turn blue like it is supposed to. The flame just stays big & yellow/orange. I just can't seem to get it to turn blue. I think it is losing pressure. After I pump the tank up it gets started and sort of roars to life, but it seems like the pressure just fizzles out in 3-5 minutes. But the yellow/orange flame lasts for 10 minutes if I let it. Any solutions???

11:24 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

Post this question on www.spiritburner.com and you'll get all the help you'll ever need. I have a 3 burner as well and it's the bomb.

11:27 a.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

thanks

8:26 p.m. on May 25, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Losing pressure quickly
Often rapid pressure loss is due to overfilling. Pressure is created by compacting the air inside the tank; you cannot compress a liquid, which is why oil is used in hydraulic brakes and lift systems. If you overfill the tank only a small volume of air space is available to compress, thus it is rapidly depleted. Try filling your tank no more than ¾ full and see if that buys more time.

You should also check the rubber washer that seals the tank fill cap on the tank. Replace if in doubt.

Yellow flame
Before troubleshooting this problem, make sure you are following the start up instructions exactly as written. Many times poor performance is caused by failure to follow the instructions.

Fuel is supplied to the burner passing through an orifice whose opening is controlled by the fuel valve. This assembly can be disassembled and cleaned. Focus on removing debris from the orifice hole at the end of the supply tube, and cleaning the needle that pokes through that hole. Replace the whole orifice tube assembly if you fail to get better performance.

Ed

December 29, 2014
Quick Reply