Seam seal question

12:32 a.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hey everybody,

I have been reading the posts on here for quite a bit and have found so much info that I have so far not had to ask any questions, thank you for that. I have ran into a small tent sealing issue. I have just purchased a Eureka Apex 2xt and would like to seal the seams. I want to use it this weekend. Where I live I cannot seem to find any seam grip locally. I was wondering if the cheap aerosol cans of camp dry will seal the seams in my tent until I can get my hands on the seam grip.

9:38 a.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I have done that. Spray the whole fly, then soak the seams. It should get you by. I make my own seam sealer out of Elmers ultimit glue. I thin it down with denatured alcoal and use a fine brush to aply it. I did this to a smal tent 3 years ago and it is still holding strong.

Its early in the morning.....sorry bout the spelling. :)

8:25 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

The aerosol cans of camp dry are totally unnecessary. Your new tent has a waterproof urethane coating on the fabric already. You want to seal the needle holes that were made when the fabric was sewn together. Here are some links for tent care:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CustomerServiceContentView?langId=-1&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&contentFile=tentfaq

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/images/MHW_care_tents.html

9:04 p.m. on June 1, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Our local Wal Marts have seam sealer in the camping area. It works good. Check there, but if it doesnt call for rain, you may not need it this weekend. If not, order some from online. I own the Apex 2XT. It is a good tent. I had it out in thunderstorms in AL this last weekend (3 days worth). No problems with leaks. Of course, I do seam seal it once per year.

2:56 p.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Here are the tent care recommendations provided by Eureka http://www.eurekatent.com/tent_care.aspx

They recommend either Kenyon Seam Sealer 3 or McNett Outdoor SeamGrip.

4:56 p.m. on July 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

If you use McNett give it like triple the recommended time to let the stuff dry.

Mine was still very slightly tacky after 24 hours of drying time. So it is still sitting out, going on day 2 of drying time.

The tube said 8+ hours...

10:53 p.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Eureka has their own seem sealer.

11:55 p.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

I sold a guy a tent once who didnt understand the need for the seam sealer. He complained to me that the tents stitched seams had tousands of tiny holes along them. I told him thats why you have to use the seam sealer, he still did'nt understand.The tent was an Oval Intention dome by TNF from the 1970s.

10:43 a.m. on September 1, 2010 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Gary, I work with people like that.

8:13 a.m. on September 3, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

My Eureka Mountain Pass tents (2 & 3 xte) are heat sealed in stock form. I have not seam sealed them and have never had any leakage issues. Nchiker what area are you from (I'm figuring Carolina, thats a tough one though :p) I will provide you with the links to get it online. I usually deal with Campmor.com for the Kenyon(Seam Sealer 3.) They have really good prices. Here is the link.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80947

As far as the McNetts(SeamGrip), yeah it works but its pretty messy, and it takes a long time to dry. I use the Kenyon. Also for large areas the Kenyon Recoat works well(fly, etc.)

I use the Seam Seam Sealer 3 and Recoat on my Cougar Flatts 2 tent. It dries quick and works very well. Hope this helps. Happy hiking.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply