Writing on bottles

10:05 a.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Hi all!

I recently bought GSI infinity dukjugs to replace a nalgene i lost in the mountains.

Its design is very good! My gripe tho is the measurements on the outside rub of easily...

Any suggestions as to what I can use to write it back and wont rub off easy?

10:59 a.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,244 forum posts

When I buy a new water bottle with writting on the outside like the measurments I take a few peices of large wide Scotch tape and put it over the lettering. Press it on firmly to get out all the air bubbles. It will stay on for the life of the bottle. I also put my name on things like water bottles with a marker then cover it with the clear tape. Then when my bottle is sitting on a park picnic table with other simular ones I know which one is mine.

11:14 a.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

Permanent marker, nail polish, automotive touch up paint, are things that jump to mind. I have used automotive touch up paint before, then used a high quality clear packaging tape over it to help protect the marking from abrasion on hard plastic bottles I had the same problem with.

If you can take a pointy object like a scratch awl, and a flexible straight edge such as a thin piece if metal or plastic as a guide, you can scratch straight permanent lines on the bottle, then fill them in with marker or paint if you want. Marking the numbers is a little harder though, but doable. I have done this to the inside of my favorite metal mug, minus the marker or paint, and I just have the marks in 1/4 cup increments, no numbers.

Another possibility for protecting the marking on the outside (only) could be to spray the area with a clear, quick drying lacquer available at hardware stores. I have not tried this on plastic and don't know how well it would adhere long term. It will adhere to metal if the surface is cleaned properly, and some people like me who use carbon steel knives do this to keep rust at bay in wet environments.

11:16 a.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

Is that cool or what.....I had not read Gary's post before I posted, and we both do the same thing!

+1 on adding your name!

11:24 a.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,244 forum posts

The scotch tape is the cheapest way to go, plus if you don't like scratching words into the bottle. A piece of paper with your name on it then covered by the tape looks good too. I often put the date when I bought the item on things too.

11:37 a.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I did the same thing and replaced my nalgene bottles with GSI bottles too. I would recommend covering the original numbers wit clear nail polish or make new ones with colored nail polish. You could also put a few scratches on the side for the level graduations.

6:24 p.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Take the bottle to your local body shop, have them take it to the paint bay and clear coat it. If ya want you can even go custom and have some metallic flake added... What is wrong w/me? Boredom is breaking me down. :(

9:15 p.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Sounds like another use for duct tape. Just remember whether the bottom of the tape marks the line you want to remember or wether it was the top of the tape!

2:59 a.m. on June 27, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Take the bottle to your local body shop, have them take it to the paint bay and clear coat it. If ya want you can even go custom and have some metallic flake added... What is wrong w/me? Boredom is breaking me down. :(

You can buy clear coat in a spray can and do it your self.

11:57 a.m. on June 27, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That just seemed too simple Mike. :)

3:52 p.m. on June 27, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

LoL But I think we have all over looked the simple and easy some times I know I have.

1:04 a.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I've used a special "magic marker" type pen on my scuba equipment to great success. It uses paint instead of ink and is completely permanent when it dries. Works great on clothing/backpacks, etc, too.

9:40 a.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,501 forum posts

I've used a special "magic marker" type pen on my scuba equipment to great success. It uses paint instead of ink and is completely permanent when it dries. Works great on clothing/backpacks, etc, too.

That's a very good idea, those are called paint markers (?) I think.

The ones you are talking about are like a ball point pen but contain a quick drying paint?

The auto paint touch up paint I have is like that.

10:41 a.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Those are the ones, yes. The "ball" is quite big and you have to push it down a bit to release the paint. They really do work quite well.

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply