MSR Carbon - can this hiking pole be saved?

3:18 p.m. on July 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

My muscleman husband didn't realize that my MSR Overland Carbon collapsible hiking pole needed to be unscrewed to extend it. He simply pulled on it to extend the pole, but now one of the joints no longer collapses. Can it be fixed somehow?

8:49 p.m. on July 15, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

Probably, depending on how much damage was done to the locking mechanism. Unscrew the pole section and pull it apart. Examine the expander collar to see what the damage is. It might help to photograph it and post an image here.

OR, the easy way, contact MSR (part of Cascade Designs) warranty and repair (click on this link) They are quite good at supporting their products (they replaced a worn-out 20-year old XGK stove for me at no cost, except for shipping the old one to them one time).

2:32 a.m. on July 17, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I'm with Bill. MSR has really good customer service, so that would be my first call. If it's anything like my Lekis, you've probably got a broken part in there, so it may take some doing to get it apart. I'm not that familiar with carbon fiber poles, but I think you need to be careful about how you take it apart. I'd be wary of using anything like ViseGrips on it that could fracture the pole itself.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply