Sinylon tarp shelter

8:37 p.m. on July 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Inspired by many of the posts I've read in these forums, I'm making a Sinylon Tarp shelter. Something I can use as a simple A frame. So far, I've sewn the 1.3 oz sinylon into a 10'x12' tarp. I was originally going to use some plastic type grip clips for the anchor points. However, I'm thinking of just using more sinylon material and quadrupling it over, sewing it into loops, sewing the loops onto the tarp and using those as anchor points. In otherwords, where I'll tie the lines onto. I'm not sure IF this will be strong enough and IF the sinylon loops will take the abrasion from the line. Does anyone have any experience with this?

10:08 p.m. on July 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,082 forum posts

I'd use webbing rather than silnylon. Take a look at these, the very best flat tarps made, for ideas.

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/tundratarp.htm

10:36 p.m. on July 19, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

Its trial and error when it comes to designing anything. The best outdoor stuff in the world started from scratch. I hope you are successful!

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply