Defeating a mold on a Camp Trails LARGE SKYLINE 501L backpack

10:38 p.m. on July 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I came onto a Camp Trails LARGE SKYLINE 501L backpack that seems to be somewhat moldy. I would like to return it to nice-and-usable condition, but I am not well versed in fabrics maintenance and do not know of what fabric and treatments my bag is made.

I have sent out a feeler to Johnson Outdoors to see if they have a manual/care-guide but I suppose it is unlikely, after I stumbled upon another thread here: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-repair/topics/40508.html

If anyone has any suggestions as to what my bag is made of and how it may be treated and cleaned and then restored to use, it would be appreciated.

4:38 a.m. on July 26, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

Get a solution used as a surface cleaner and sterilizer, from a restaurant supply provider. These chemicals generally don't adversely affect fabrics. Otherwise there are antimicrobial versions of Fantastic and 409, while bleach is the cheapest approach, but it may react with the color of materials of the pack cloth. Clean both the bag and frame elements. Dry, then store your pack in a dry ventilated area to minimize chance of recurrence.

Ed

9:55 p.m. on July 26, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Setting it up in direct sunshine can help, also I have used a weak vingar/water solution wiped on the mold then allowed to air dry in good ventilation.

6:39 a.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,297 forum posts

vinegar and water, then put in direct sunlight for 6 hours or so. Mold will be history.

Never done this on a pack, but have on tents.

10:06 a.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Well I figured whats good for a nylon tent is good for a nylon pack. My mother used to do this when I was younger and would come home to visit. She would wash/wipe mytent and pack with vingar/water and then hang it out in the sun back in the early 1980s.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply