The North Face Canyonlands Tent

10:20 p.m. on July 30, 2010 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Just pick this one up. The vinal windows are going to go downhill very fast. The seller said there was 2 spots that he fixed but when I got it one window had a 3 inch crack (tear) in it. The other problem ( I think) is the rainfly sticks together. Is there a way to keep this from happening? It allso leaks. The tape is pealing off. So I seamsealed. What kind of water proofing should I use? For a one man tent this is realy the design that I want. It is VERY roomy. I just want to make smart repairs. Just one more thing. Does anyone know the age of this tent?

4:44 p.m. on July 31, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

The Canyonlands tent came out in 1999, I'm not sure when it was discontinued, sometime after 2003. There may be some codes on one of the tags inside the tent if they are still there, I may be able to decipher them.

6:13 p.m. on August 2, 2010 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

These are the numbers

Inside the compression sack

RN61661

CA30516

10288 Canyonlands

Inside the tent

Lot#0394 03

11:21 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Leave it to North Face to make a tent that they discontinue after a couple years. Product loyalty? What's that? Off the top of my head, I'd say there are a few other tents in the Canyonland category: a single pole "hoop" style tent. You should look for and buy whatever Canyonlands you can find used as it hasn't been that long ago since they were dumped by the company.

The stuck-together fly is a common problem when tents are stored wet or moist. It usually ruins a tent over the long run, and one time I had an old North Face tent I stored wet for a couple weeks and when I went to pull apart the fly, it ripped in a 2 foot section. Wonderful. My own dang fault.

BTW, here's a fotog of a friend's Canyonland set up on Bob's Bald:

8:41 p.m. on August 7, 2010 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Ok my vinyl windows are shot! Any ideas on how to fix, or what would repace them. I just spent sometime in the tent and I love it!

3:41 p.m. on August 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

The model number of your tent is 10288, I don't see a season code as most of the clothing has. My guess by the model number is its a 2000 or 2001. TNF sells replacement rainflys, it might be worth it to see if they have a Canyonlands in stock. 1-866-715-3223 prompt 7.

5:07 p.m. on August 18, 2010 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Just called TNF. All I can say is WOW!!!! I send in my old fly and they will send me a new one for $35 Now thats Custumer Service!

2:58 a.m. on August 19, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Thats great Mike.

I bought a tent last summer from Goodwill. Got it home it smelled like sour cream when I opened the bag. Only paid $3 for the tent and it was impossible to unroll, whoever used it last folded it up damp.

In 1980 I was using a North Face VE24 and a 4 foot snowfall fell one night in Yosemite. The NF Warrenty said it would hold 2 feet. Well the snow broke the poles and stretched the rainfly and it came apart at the seams. I called NF and told them what happened and that I was living in the tent in Yosemite. They had me mail the poles and fly to them. Within days they replaced both free and thanked me for using their tent!

I 1978 I bought a pair of NF rainpants, goretex. In 1986 they started leaking around the knee's I sent them to NF and they replaced them under their lifetime warrenty.

9:41 p.m. on September 1, 2010 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Yesterday I chated to Andy from TNF online. He told me that it might take 4 weeks for them to check out the rainfly. Today I got home to find a New rainfly at my door.. WOW!!! Great service! I'll have to email them how graet they are. Very, VERY!!!! happy!

8:21 a.m. on September 3, 2010 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Mike, I always use the Kenyon products for water-proofing. Seam Sealer 3 (seams and small areas) Recoat 3 for large areas(Fly, floors,etc.) Works well and dries quick.

11:10 a.m. on September 4, 2010 (EDT)
329 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Did I mention that it was free? Cant wait for my next trail.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply