Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent, year 2000 model

11:14 p.m. on August 28, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi,

The fly on my 6 man Alaskan Guide has finally died after many wild escapades on the eastern shores. It is the model where the vestibule attaches with a zipper. I love my vestibule as it acts as a screened in area where you can set and look out at the world regardless of the weather. If anyone has one that they are willing to part with I would love to hear from you.

Ellie

12:49 p.m. on August 29, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

You could also get strips of Velcro to put along the edge where the zipper is or find a sewing company that can put in a new zipper. Maybe Cabela's will do it or maybe replace the tent?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat604777&navAction=jump&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat20075&parentType=category&parentId=cat20075

9:40 p.m. on August 29, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

What is the warranty on Cabela's branded products?

Answer: Cabela's brand Clothing and Footwear merchandise is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear and/or against defects in workmanship. All other Cabela's brand merchandise is guaranteed for one full year and will have our warranty against defects in workmanship and/or materials. If one of our Cabela's brand product fails under normal use, it can be returned for evaluation at any time. Repackage the merchandise and return via ground UPS* or USPS insured, for your protection, to: Cabela's Customer Returns 400 East Avenue A Oshkosh, NE 69190 If you have a warranty question, you are welcome to call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-237-8888 (Monday - Friday 6am - 11pm CST and Saturday 8am - 5pm CST) or via email at customer.service@cabelas.com for additional information

Before looking for someone with a replacement tent, I would call Cabela's and ask about the lifetime warranty as listed above. Most good companies have good replacement or free repair on covered items. Your tent is only 10 years old and you have relied on it. Talk to them tell them about, I am sure they will do all they can to meet your needs.

4:39 p.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been in touch with Cabela's, they can not help. I also spoke to a local buisness that repairs Moss tents, plus others. They stated that it was too complicated. I think what I need is someone who bought the tent and then did not use it much. These are the best things going, I will replace with the new model if I have to, but will not be able to have the large vestibule. So, looking for an old tent, that has not seen much use.

Ellie

5:03 p.m. on August 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Try the Velcro as I said. I did that once on a tent that the zipper came apart on during a hiking trip. It worked fine with the Velcro strips. They were preglued and I eventually sewed them on better by hand. You can find rolls of Velcro at a sewing/material shop.

8:22 p.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Not sure why Cabelas could'nt help. I've had the same tent (Guide model) for about 6 years. Last year I broke a pole and they mailed me one the next day. Seriously, you should call back and speak to a manager-they need to replace it.

10:35 a.m. on September 1, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,180 forum posts

I have a great Cabelas XTW 12x12 dome tent set up and it's where I get my bag nights when I'm not out backpacking. It's much like the Alaskan Guide tent but beefier(and more expensive--and heavier at around 70 lbs). This tent has been set up permanently for 5 years and is slowly disintegrating. The inside tent body failed first when my dog Shunka got spooked during a lightning storm and made a new door out of the tent. The canopy fabric in the front got badly UV damaged and so it was like tissue paper.

The fly with the vestibule is still standing and I just unhooked the old inner tent, cut off it's floor for tarp usage, and left the big fly standing with the dome poles. Inside I put a big Mt Hardwear Hammerhead 3 tent and so I've got a big awning to shade another tent. Would Cabelas replace my inner tent? Could I get just the fly to this tent? Dunno, haven't tried to call them about it. BTW, I believe all Cabelas tents are made by Eureka . . .????

I'm looking for another replacement for a "permanent" basecamp type tent and have considered Wall Tents and another Tipi or a yurt, but in my neck of the woods I need a sealed floor like on a tent(scorpions, black widows), and so the usefulness of the Cabelas tent. There are a lot of good sealed floor big tents out there for permanent living, the Eureka Equinox comes to mind, but the XTW Cabelas is a great tent and recommended.

2:29 p.m. on September 1, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

I too am considering a Cabela's wall tent for living in in southern Utah in a year or so when I head back. Still thinking of a Tipi for extended living quarters when I find a place to settle down for the longer years after retirement. But a wall tent with a wood stove and maybe the sewn in floor is what I am thinking about.

So Tipiwalker, you live in a big tent, this one you say you have had up for 5 years? Interesting! I plan to go back to utah to do more geology and amatuer anthropology of the area round the western edges of the Grand Staircase between the White Cliffs and the Vermillion Cliffs between Mount Carmel, Kanab and Lake Powell.

6:49 p.m. on September 1, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,180 forum posts

When I first got the Cabelas tent I was coming out of 21 years of living in a woodstove heated 17 foot diameter tipi(in the mountains of North Carolina), and so I was hesitant at first to leave the tipi and the woodstove behind for a . . . .mere . . . . .tent. But I figured a replacement heating system using a Mister Buddy propane heater with the propane tank outside and the gas hose running into the tent would be a decent substitute. It works but it's nothing like having a woodstove.

Before I went the Cabelas route I researched wall tents and found a place called David Ellis canvas products in Durango, Colorado. He makes some outstanding wall tents. Check out:

http://www.cowboycamp.net/

And then, of course, there's:

http://www.fourdog.com/

With these two sources, a person can once and for all shuck the high home costs and the indoor life for good. Any other ideas out there??

8:13 p.m. on September 1, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Well, I have lived in a 2 person backpacking tent for 20 out of the last 30 years, the rest living in rooms and apartments while working.

So I figure going to a Tipi (when I can afford one and get it and the poles moved to a site) will be almost like living in a mansion. But till then for regular purposes I would like to live in a wall tent with a woodstove.

Wow, 21 years in a Tipi heated by a woodstove, thats great. I have always admired the Plains Indian Tipi. In Jackson Hole at a place called Dornan's near the south entrance to Grand Teton, they use Tipi's big enough for 6 regular sized picnic tables inside arrainged like spokes of a wheel for tourists to eat on at thier BBQ cookout. The poles are as big around at the base as telephone poles and have to be about 20 feet across at the base.

1:14 p.m. on September 3, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

gary

the best year round tipi set up i have seen uses an old ashley top loading stove. the one that i am thinking of is the old tin sided cast iron top model. the cast iron top was hinged so that you can load wood from the top. the large ones stood about 3 foot tall. trick is to bury the stove in the ground with about 6" sticking out of the ground. that way the stove is actually warming the ground instead of the just the air. just run the stove pipe above head height and vent out through the smoke flaps. i never used a stove jack in a tipi. these stoves could take very large pieces of wood and with the tin sides are quite light in weight. no life like the tipi life.

1:24 p.m. on September 3, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

Thanks for the info, lazya4

7:17 p.m. on September 3, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Tipi Walter said:

I'm looking for another replacement for a "permanent" basecamp type tent and have considered Wall Tents and another Tipi or a yurt, but in my neck of the woods I need a sealed floor like on a tent(scorpions, black widows), and so the usefulness of the Cabelas tent.

I also require a floor in my shelters, mostly because of insects, I don't mind getting wet or dirty, but I don't like being stung or bit.

I used to see scorpions (rarely) along the Cumberland escarpment area of Tennessee. They were smallish, and tan - brown.

I've also spotted them while cutting firewood in NW Georgia.

We have Brown Widows here in the Coastal Plain of SC, they are brown of course with brown & black bands on their legs, same shape, size and hourglass marking as the black ones. My friends back in TN think I'm making it up, but it's the truth. They are also in S. California, I don't know the extent of their range.

Here is an article:

http://cisr.ucr.edu/brown_widow_spider.html

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply