Adding a hip belt.

11:29 a.m. on September 6, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I've got a daypack that I got from American Eagle about 4 years ago. It's made of a nice thick and durable canvas-style material, it's got a pretty good capacity, as well as compression straps on the side.

However, it's not that stable, and I was wanting to add a hip belt to it. I've never done anything like this, so I don't know where to start. I've seen a few hip belts online, but they seem to be replacements for existing packs, and made to attach via some existing method. I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any sort of experience with this type of situation and could impart some advice or wisdom?

1:37 p.m. on September 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
167 forum posts

sams

it would be helpful if you could post a pix of the the pack in question. also what kind of hip belt do you want to have? do you want a hip belt that would transfer weight to your hips? is the pack long enough to do this? do you want a waist strap that will keep the pack tight against your back but doesn't transfer weight?

this doesn't sound like too hard of a project and you might even find you enjoy making mods to older packs.

good luck with the project

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply