About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Memory Foam Fabric Cover

6:17 a.m. on September 28, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I have a 72x80 4" piece of memory foam. I want to make two sleeping pads: 36X80" each.

I was thinking of having an alternation store stitch a fabric over each piece.

Q? What fabric should I use?

7:28 a.m. on September 30, 2010 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

A 4-inch thick sleeping pad is HUGE, regardless of the size. I bought a 2" thick pad in my early days of camping. I still have it, but it is SOO very impractical and not good for anything but cabin stays in the local state park. Are you car camping? If so, the cover is unnecessary. I'd just put a sheet over it.

6:58 a.m. on October 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Car camping..upon precise measurement- the uncompressed foam is 2 .75" NOT 4".. And yes, it is "cumbersome"

If I can find three (3) self inflating sleeping pads - say for between 50-75$ each maybe I will shelve the foam pad construction effort- I was just trying to be economical.. but with the fabric and labor I may be close to $100 anyway. Trying not to waste it..

Is there a "gold standard" for self inflating pads?" I would prefer an XL- extra wide- me 6'2" and 205lb.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply