Can you get new shoulder straps and a hip belt for a Kelty external frame pack?

3:15 p.m. on October 10, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I have a Kelty external frame pack that is over 20 years old and in good condition except for the fittings, metal and plastic, on the shoulder straps and hip belt. All the plastic buckles creak and the grommets on the shoulder straps are rusty.

I didn't see anything on the Kelty website, do any of you know if it is possible to buy replacements straps and a hip belt? I saw a newer Kelty external frame this summer and liked how well padded the new pack was. With new straps this would be an excellent pack for trail walking with a heavier load. The alternative is to buy a new pack, they are certainly cheap enough!

For the most part this old pack only gets used when I walk the dog, with two twenty pound bags of dog food in the pack it keeps me ready for longer trips.

7:00 p.m. on October 11, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Call the folks at Kelty. I too have a really old external frame pack; I got replacement straps three years ago for a 35 year old pack. This was the eighth set replaced. I can't even recall the model of my pack, they asked me to send the old straps, which they matched up to a nice and improved set of replacements. The price was very reasonable too. Good folks at Kelty.
Ed

8:22 a.m. on October 12, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I just got an old Kelty pack at a second hand store (very cheap). The pack and frame are in very good shape. My old pack was shot, so I took off the straps and hip belt and put them on the Kelty. Now that old Kelty is like new. I think that on old external frame backpack parts from one will fit most others.

9:20 p.m. on October 12, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Thanks for the replies! I think I am going to call Kelty and see what they can do for me. The pack has some sentimental value (lots of good hikes with it) and I'd rather not buy a new pack.

1:43 a.m. on October 16, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

There are some old threads on this forum from a few years back that listed a few places that stocked replacement shoulder straps and hip belts for the old Kelty frame packs. However from what I see searching around now, they (the replacement parts from the various websites) are no-longer to be found.

However, try this:

http://www.kelty.com/news.aspx?NewsTypeID=10&showarticle=85

The originals on my 1978 D4 are still intact and still as uncomfortable as ever :) :)

July 25, 2014
Quick Reply